tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

+4
Carol
mudra
Vidya Moksha
Morpheus
8 posters

OFF-GRID AMBULANCE CONVERSION PROJECT

Morpheus
    Morpheus

OFF-GRID AMBULANCE CONVERSION PROJECT - Page 3 Empty Re: OFF-GRID AMBULANCE CONVERSION PROJECT

Post  Morpheus Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:23 pm

Vidya Moksha wrote: well i lknow this isnt a buy and sell forum, and I wouldnt normally mention it,,, but.. I need to sell my ambulance.. exchange it for a small off road vehicle..

interesting times eh?

Have you ever gone here?

Maybe this guy can help you sell it? I have no problem if you would like to advertise it here as long as that's ok with Carol.

Oh... I gave a name to the beast. Zeus. Just seem to fit perfectly. Very Happy

Freedom
    Morpheus
    Morpheus

OFF-GRID AMBULANCE CONVERSION PROJECT - Page 3 Empty Re: OFF-GRID AMBULANCE CONVERSION PROJECT

Post  Morpheus Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:33 pm

sunny

Somewhere around the third week of June, I went to the NC DMV, and do a title transfer of the ambulance. 4 months later, the title finally showed up. However, there was an error in the title. The model year was wrong. So I went the other day to the DMV to straighten this out. They figured out that they were in error and now I have to wait for the corrected title to get here. Might take another 4 months. Who knows? No

I've since removed the seat belts and cushions and some of the ceiling railing. Very well built! Hard to remove. Looks a little bigger inside the rear box. Less clutter.

Love my new truck!

mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:01 am

4 months to get a title transfer and it's not even right ! And they are unable to correct their mistake on the spot. OMG Kafkayan world scratch

Glad this doesn't prevent you to keep working on your dream to turn that ambulance into a jewel Morpheus😊

Love from me
    mudra

Morpheus
    Morpheus

Post  Morpheus Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:07 am

mudra wrote:4 months to get a title transfer and it's not even right! And they are unable to correct their mistake on the spot. OMG Kafkayan world scratch

Glad this doesn't prevent you to keep working on your dream to turn that ambulance into a jewel Morpheus😊

Love from me
    mudra

What was also weird is that the clerk didn't want to really make the proper changes to the model date as if it was an inconvenience. Like it affected their performance bonuses. Very strange. The Feds change the emission standards in 2011. They put another emission control system in place requiring the use of "DEF." Another additive system to reduce diesel emissions. So if I got pulled over and showed them a 2011 registration, with that system not being present, I would probably acquire some trouble along with fines. Plus it puts me in a higher tax bracket. Zeus is a 2010 model. So this had to get straightened out. Thubs Up Now we wait for the corrected title to show up. They have to send it to Raleigh to have it reissued.

Hope all is well with you, Mudra. JT

Morpheus
    Morpheus

Post  Morpheus Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:29 pm

sunny

Got some more great news for this week.

The title arrived today for Zeus!!!!!!! They had me worried there for a while.

But it is here. yeah..... cheers

Namaste'
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:33 pm

Congratulations Lionhawk. Awesome!

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    Swanny
    Swanny

Post  Swanny Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:35 am

Morpheus wrote:sunny

Got some more great news for this week.

The title arrived today for Zeus!!!!!!! They had me worried there for a while.

But it is here. yeah..... cheers

Namaste'

Excellent Very Happy

But..... What's a title? scratch
    Morpheus
    Morpheus

Post  Morpheus Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:24 am

Here in the States, a Title is a legal document that represents an article of property. Like a car for instance. The bank will hold this document, since they own the property until you pay it off. Once paid off, then they send you the Title, this Title is also a transfer of ownership and what the DMV,{ Department of motor vehicles}, does, is put your name on the Title as the new owner. Paid and clear of any liens. It will contain the serial number of the vehicle, model year and so forth. In Zeus's case, it took 6 months to get this Title. At 4 months, they sent me a Title that had the wrong model year on it and so I went back to the DMV and they had to re-issue the Title with the right model year. Just one year off mind you but that one year off would also put it at a higher property tax bracket rate.

It's a good thing!!! cheers

sunny
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:01 am

Congratulations cheers Double Thumbs Up cheers some employee was bright enough to finish the cycle properly.
    So glad for you Morpheus Cheerful
    I suspect this painting you recently got helped speed things up don't you think ?

Love from me
    mudra
    Morpheus
    Morpheus

Post  Morpheus Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:16 am

mudra wrote:Congratulations cheers Double Thumbs Up cheers  some employee was bright enough to finish the cycle properly.
    So glad for you Morpheus Cheerful
    I suspect this painting you recently got helped speed things up don't you think?

Love from me
    mudra

Funny you mentioned the painting. I would rather comment on that on the BridgeWay if that's alright?

Namaste' my Dearest.
    Enlightened
    Swanny
    Swanny

Post  Swanny Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:02 pm

Morpheus wrote:Here in the States, a Title is a legal document that represents an article of property. Like a car for instance. The bank will hold this document, since they own the property until you pay it off. Once paid off, then they send you the Title, this Title is also a transfer of ownership and what the DMV,{ Department of motor vehicles}, does, is put your name on the Title as the new owner. Paid and clear of any liens. It will contain the serial number of the vehicle, model year and so forth. In Zeus's case, it took 6 months to get this Title. At 4 months, they sent me a Title that had the wrong model year on it and so I went back to the DMV and they had to re-issue the Title with the right model year. Just one year off mind you but that one year off would also put it at a higher property tax bracket rate.

It's a good thing!!! cheers

sunny

Ah I see :) Thanks for the explanation. In England we call it the Log book, you get it as soon as you buy the car/bike even if you have it on HP. But you never actually own the vehicle, you're just the keeper
    Morpheus
    Morpheus

Post  Morpheus Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:49 pm

sunny

Swanny said,

"Ah I see :) Thanks for the explanation. In England, we call it the Logbook, you get it as soon as you buy the car/bike even if you have it on HP. But you never actually own the vehicle, you're just the keeper."

They always seem to have a way to put their claws in you. "Keeper," is right. Paying personal property taxes on a yearly basis, adds up, the more physical assets you acquire.
    Morpheus
    Morpheus

Post  Morpheus Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:23 pm

Very Happy

What do boat builders and RV repair people have in common? Admiration for Ambulances. The quality that goes into one. An ambulance, like Zeus, falls between $200,000.00 and $300,000.00, when new.

Even before I bought Zeus, I went up the road here and visited our fire station and looked at some of these vehicles they had there. Everything they had in there was well built. One of the first things that caught my eye was the outside storage doors. On RVs, they tend to be around an inch thick. On Zeus for instance, the doors are 2 1/4 inches thick. Huge difference. Better insulation factor too. The cabinets on the inside are made with precision cut and fit.

So far, everyone I have spoken to, thinks it is bizarre that I bought one. That's because they don't know anything about how one is built. They think of dead people, drugs, diseases, etc. These ambulances are for one thing, mandated by the Feds. Because of that, the mechanical performance comes into play. The maintenance, oil changes, brakes, tires, etc. are serviced until they decommission the vehicle.

When I got Zeus, it was totally cleaned. No icky stuff to deal with. Plus with the fit on the inside, it would be easy to clean as compared to an RV. Again, part of the Federal mandates.

So what I have noticed is that old-timey boat builders and the like, are starting to buy these ambulances and converting them into their homes. There is an actual movement going on now. The thing is you can get one pretty cheap if you look in the right places and spend some time researching.

Zeus is a 2010 model, so it is fairly new as compared to what is out there, on the cheap side. Heck, the engine is just breaking in with 240,000 miles on it.

Another thing that I like is the floodlights on the outside of it. They light up my whole back yard. Plus one of the things I would like to get into is Astrophotography. Zeus also has RED flood lights on the outside. Just have to replace the relay or flasher so they don't flash on and off. Plus using my inferred camera in a red lite environment might come in handy. Did I mention LEDs are now the standard. Saves on power consumption and that really comes into play if you have solar. Also the heat factor of what the older bulbs can generate. LEDs are a lot cooler.  Thubs Up

The rear box environment can also be controlled by the truck systems, which will cool and heat it, while the truck is running. So that means you don't have to hook up to shore power. However, I would like to change the RPM setting as I think it is 500 RPMs too high. It creates smoke in terms of exhaust.

Lionhawk
    Lionhawk

Post  Lionhawk Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:48 pm

santa

While giving this house a good clean out, I found some more stuff for ZEUS. It's amazing what you forget about the stuff that you have. Stuff gets buried. Anyway, I found a set of Kenwood speakers, brand new, just waiting to fit somewhere. They're 6 X 9s. I also found my old amp that kicks butt. And to top the list, a brand new subwoofer. Oh, also found a set of Boston Acoustic high frequency 4" speakers. All that is left to assemble this system is a new stereo. Going to have to research that out. So many options nowadays. ZEUS has two cameras, both are in the rear. One in the box and one outside the box for rear coverage. Anyone have any smart suggestions for a stereo?

That's the update for now...

afro
    Morpheus
    Morpheus

Post  Morpheus Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:38 am

sunny

Just found this YouTube video. Enjoy!

Sanicle
    Sanicle

Post  Sanicle Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:16 am

WOW!! That door!! And then all the insides!! That is beeeauuuutiful. I could definitely live there! What a clever man.

Thank you Morpheus! Cool I love you cheers
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:44 am

What a lovely plot of land, what a magical house and what an enchanted being the craftman of all this is. 👋
    Brice keeps finding yewels on his trail of Hearts.
    I am absolutely in love with Britain
    I enjoyed everything there from their romantic gardens, to their fine teas and scones, Old towns and small villages, ... to the lovely british manners and their funny sense of humor.
    I remember Americans felt at a loss there because all looked tiny to them: houses, roads, streets, shops, cars...They thought they had entered a doll land haha
    I was living in  Sussex in a lovely green area surrounded by Old manors and Castles and I had two really fine friends on my stay there. Both of them excellent artists. Their house was ridden with their Art from bottom to top including the garden. Much like this man in the video.
    Such wonderful and dear memories to me sunny

Thank you for sharing this Morpheus Flowers

Love from me
    mudra
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:44 am

Totally amazing Andy.

This amazing Lord of the Rings inspired van conversion is sure to impress! After his divorce, retired police officer turned wood-carver Glen wanted to do something different and follow his dream of converting a van into a wonderful tiny home on wheels. If you enjoy our videos, please consider supporting us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/livingbig

As an artist, Glen makes beautiful wooden carvings and his skill is evident throughout this build where his art has turned his van into a whimsical home. The style of the van is heavily influenced by the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit and the van has even been named Radagast, after the brown wizard.

Glen’s van / tiny house is now parked up in the middle of a 4 acre woodland block which Glen has purchased and where his van now allows him to live as custodian of the woods.

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    Morpheus
    Morpheus

Post  Morpheus Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:55 pm

Hey OXY, check this out. If you are poor like me, consider this video.

I was getting started on my Ambulance and my health went downhill. Plus, as it turns out, the batteries were 7 years old. I had left a switch on and the batteries got drained. They died. So I bought some new ones and they are still in the back of my truck. Another thing that made things worse, was the battery compartment box that they sit in. It has draw slides. So you can pull the battery box out to gain access. Those draw slides had seized up. Seem like it took a while to get the batteries out and they are quite heavy. There are 3 batteries. Once I got the batteries out, I took the draw slides off and discovered the seizure. I have tore one of them apart, wire-brushed all the rust off, and started to put it back together and didn't finish that. But hopefully, now that the temperature is now warming up, I can get started again. When this first happened, I got a little nervous. Batteries aren't cheap nowadays I did some pricing and was looking at $ 600.00. But I got lucky and ended up paying $208.00 for 3 new ones at Interstate Batteries. They have blemished ones there. A scratch on the side or top, so they discount them. I have taken out most of the cushions in the box. Plus the seat belts in the box. Oil changes are going to be pricey. The darn thing holds 28 quarts of oil and that's because of a 7.6-liter engine. The famous Ford 7.3-liter engine was actually built by International. Not Ford. Both of these engines are in the top ten of diesels. I paid 10K plus 850 on the shipping from Pennsylvania. Here's a funny. The tax value is 5K. I love the truck and I'm very eager to get to it as long as my health doesn't get any worse.

orthodoxymoron
    orthodoxymoron

Post  orthodoxymoron Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:17 pm

Thank-you, Lionhawk. I enjoyed the video. I might simply buy a 10 year-old Chevy Suburban, and periodically go camping, with or without campgrounds. I rode in a nice, new ambulance when I experienced my stroke on May 13, 2020, complete with siren, flashing-lights, paramedics, halting traffic, running stop-lights, driving on the wrong side of the road, and priority entry to the ER!! The fun only lasted for 30 minutes, but it was fun while it lasted!! Unfortunately, my mind, talking, and writing were horribly scrambled. The worst of this lasted for approximately 48 hours. I'm still struggling to think and talk properly, but I seem to be able write reasonably well (for now). Semi-Retirement seems to involve withdrawal symptoms but I'm hoping to overcome all the above by ending my quest, reading newspapers, and exercising in nature. Perhaps all religions and quests are somehow spiritual quicksand. God Got Me?? Sorry for the editorializing. I've been watching some Suburban conversion videos, but a daypack, backpack, and supplies might be enough for me.

Morpheus likes this post

Morpheus
    Morpheus

Post  Morpheus Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:35 pm

That looks like a cool rig! Just remember, you might not be able to stand up in it. And don't forget about propane. The condensation factor. If you overdo the propane, you'll have serious mold issues. I plan on getting a diesel heater for Zeus. They range in price though. But you can get a Chinese one for about $180.00. I once lived in a nice RV trailer and had a small heater box fan that worked great even in the Winter, but I was hooked up at a campground. Also, keep in mind that it is always better to have a couple of different heat systems just in case one system fails. A backup system could save your life in some instances. You never know.

My neighbor, I had mentioned, his birthday is on May 13th. Another synchronicity. Sorry about your stroke event. I also have a neighbor and she just had one a few months ago and she is only 32. The docs can't figure out why either.
    Morpheus
    Morpheus

Post  Morpheus Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:06 am

A short update on the Zeus project. When I bought Zeus, I made sure to ask for all the keys. That didn't happen. Only got the ignition key. The box in the back has 5 compartments and 3 doors. They have locks on them. So I am scampering around in my head as to what this is going to cost to rectify the situation. I also needed to get wiring schematics for the box. Tons of wire in the thing. So I called up the manufacturer of the box the other day and asked if I could get the schematics and then also asked him about keys for it. Guess what? He sent me the PDF for the wiring schematics and two keys for the locks. Didn't cost me a dime. Double Thumbs Up Couldn't believe it. Talk about a company that backs up their product, considering it is 11 years old now. Very rare indeed in today's world. As to insurance? If and when I add it to my policy, as a secondary vehicle, labeled as a camper, it will cost me $150.00 per year for liability insurance. HEha!

A little trivia for you all... Don't buy watermelons in Alaska! They are going for $6.00 a POUND! So a 25 lbs. watermelon equates to $150.00. Insane!

Vidya Moksha likes this post

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:30 pm