tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

Off-Grid Toilets

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Off-Grid Toilets Empty Off-Grid Toilets

Post  Carol Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:18 pm

How to live Off Grid - a toilet with no plumbing
    By waiting4rain

Off-Grid Toilets Bucket_toilet

A man's home is his castle, including the throne.

Do you dream of living off grid but the expense of putting in alternative energy sources is prohibiting you from getting there and you just aren't sure how you'll build or use a toilet without the public utilities? You can still do it! This series of articles is intended to inspire you.

I lived for a year in the mountains in Montana with no running water, electricity or propane. I had 2 little kids, no experience and was recovering from major surgery. If I can do it - you can too! After all, the pioneers headed out into the wilderness. Bankers, lawyers, widows, all managed to figure it out.

Difficulty: Moderately Easy
    Instructions

1. A $2000 composting toilet is a great idea but if you can't afford it right now, that shouldn't stop you from going off grid.

2. An outhouse doesn't have to be over a dug hole.
    When I lived in the mountains I had an outhouse that was built over a hill. Below the hole in the seat was a 55 gallon drum. Everything dropped down in the drum. I wasn't there long enough to fill it up, but when I first got there, it was full from the previous tenants. I pulled it off into the woods, tipped it over and let everything fall out. I left it alone and in a few days it was all rotting into the ground.

3. I know lots of people who use the following system: take a 5 gallon bucket and put a toilet seat on it. You can either line the bucket with a trash bag (unnecessary and wasteful of plastic) or plan on washing it out. Use the bucket like a toilet and dump it out in the woods out of the way.

4. If you are squatting (living in a house without legal authority) in a house without water, consider using a bag in the regular toilet as a liner. Dump about a cup of kitty litter in the bag and add some as needed through the day. The liquids will be absorbed and you can safely tie off the bag and dispose of it in a dumpster after dark.

Eco Toiletswww.IraWoods.com
    Eco Toilets That Save Water Too! Huge Discounts. Free Shipping > $99

Saniflo Toilets on SaleHomeClick.com/Saniflo-Toilets
    Browse our Complete Selection of Saniflo Toilets - 100% Free S/H!

Toto Toilets - Clearancewww.WeSellToto.com
    Free Same Day Shipping on Toto Toilets. Closeout Prices - 50% Off!

Hawaii Solar PVwww.AlternateEnergyHawaii.com

Use toilet paper for septic systems. It breaks down faster.

One person produces 3 cubic feet of waste (poop) in one year. If a drum is 2 1/2' in diameter then one average person will not even fill it 6" in one year. A family of four will only fill it 2 feet. Plan on emptying it every year and you should never have a problem.

Keep a can of wood ash next to the hole and get in the habit of throwing a scoop down every time you poop. It will add to the volume but help with smell and decay.

Read more: How to live Off Grid - a toilet with no plumbing | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4714378_off-grid-toilet-no-plumbing.html#ixzz14jBTTLkg

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Off-Grid Toilets Empty Re: Off-Grid Toilets

Post  Carol Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:27 pm

Sturdy - Tip-resistant
    Ideal for children and adults
    Toilet bags (#4C) and chemicals (#4D & #4G) sold separately
    Designed for emergency sanitation purposes.

http://www.quakekare.com/bucket-style-toilet-p-33.html?gclid=CKGVmKOUkqUCFQdMgwodikvvMw

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 1:36 am