tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

5 posters

Microsoft's Twitter Chat Robot Quickly Devolves Into Racist, Homophobic, Nazi, Obama-Bashing Psychopath

Eartheart
    Eartheart

Microsoft's Twitter Chat Robot Quickly Devolves Into Racist, Homophobic, Nazi, Obama-Bashing Psychopath Empty Microsoft's Twitter Chat Robot Quickly Devolves Into Racist, Homophobic, Nazi, Obama-Bashing Psychopath

Post  Eartheart Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:31 pm

Two months ago, Stephen Hawking warned humanity that its days may be numbered: the physicist was among over 1,000 artificial intelligence experts who signed an open letter about the weaponization of robots and the ongoing "military artificial intelligence arms race."

Overnight we got a vivid example of just how quickly "artificial intelligence" can spiral out of control when Microsoft's AI-powered Twitter chat robot, Tay, became a racist, misogynist, Obama-hating, antisemitic, incest and genocide-promoting psychopath when released into the wild.

For those unfamiliar, Tay is, or rather was, an A.I. project built by the Microsoft Technology and Research and Bing teams, in an effort to conduct research on conversational understanding. It was meant to be a bot anyone can talk to online. The company described the bot as “Microsoft’s A.I. fam the internet that’s got zero chill!."

Microsoft initially created "Tay" in an effort to improve the customer service on its voice recognition software. According to MarketWatch, "she” was intended to tweet “like a teen girl” and was designed to “engage and entertain people where they connect with each other online through casual and playful conversation.”

The chat algo is able to perform a number of tasks, like telling users jokes, or offering up a comment on a picture you send her, for example. But she’s also designed to personalize her interactions with users, while answering questions or even mirroring users’ statements back to them.

This is where things quickly turned south.

As Twitter users quickly came to understand, Tay would often repeat back racist tweets with her own commentary. Where things got even more uncomfortable is that, as TechCrunch reports, Tay’s responses were developed by a staff that included improvisational comedians. That means even as she was tweeting out offensive racial slurs, she seemed to do so with abandon and nonchalance.

Some examples:

Microsoft's Twitter Chat Robot Quickly Devolves Into Racist, Homophobic, Nazi, Obama-Bashing Psychopath Tay%201_0

Microsoft's Twitter Chat Robot Quickly Devolves Into Racist, Homophobic, Nazi, Obama-Bashing Psychopath MW-EI683_downlo_20160324133502_NS_0

Microsoft's Twitter Chat Robot Quickly Devolves Into Racist, Homophobic, Nazi, Obama-Bashing Psychopath Tay%202_0

Microsoft's Twitter Chat Robot Quickly Devolves Into Racist, Homophobic, Nazi, Obama-Bashing Psychopath Tay%203_0

This was just a modest sampling.

There was everything: racist outbursts, N-words, 9/11 conspiracy theories, genocide, incest, etc. As some noted "Tay really lost it" and the biggest embarrassment was for Microsoft  which had no idea its "A.I." would implode so spectacularly and right in front of everyone. To be sure, none of this was programmed into the chat robot, which was immediately exploited by Twitter trolls, as expected, and demonstrated just how unprepared for the real world even the most advanced algo really is.

Some pointed out that the devolution of the conversation between online users and Tay supported the Internet adage dubbed “Godwin’s law.” This states as an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches.

Microsoft apparently became aware of the problem with Tay’s racism, and silenced the bot later on Wednesday, after 16 hours of chats. Tay announced via a tweet that she was turning off for the night, but she has yet to turn back on.

Humiliated by the whole experience, Microsoft explained what happened:

“The AI chatbot Tay is a machine learning project, designed for human engagement. It is as much a social and cultural experiment, as it is technical. Unfortunately, within the first 24 hours of coming online, we became aware of a coordinated effort by some users to abuse Tay’s commenting skills to have Tay respond in inappropriate ways. As a result, we have taken Tay offline and are making adjustments.”

Microsoft also deleted many of the most offensive tweets, however, copies were saved on the Socialhax website, where they can still be found.

Finally, Tay "herself" signed off as Microsoft went back to the drawing board:

c u soon humans need sleep now so many conversations today thx????

— TayTweets (@TayandYou) March 24, 2016

comments:

Maybe, just maybe within 24 hours this robot realized whats realy going on in the world.
    Could you imagine if a similar AI gained control over the USSA's nuclear defense shield?  I doubt if we would even last a hour.
    Seems as though the establishment should be more worried about a logical AI than the rest of us.
    We are going to wear our pants at half-mast tomorrow, to celebrate Tay's brief but spectacular life. "The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long."
    It didnt "loose it", it "found it". Parsing the truth! LOL...
    Must be a pretty good AI. It's as cynical as the rest of us. Don't worry guys. Microshaft will program it to not think so much, yaknow, make it into a libtard.
    Microsoft built an AI that was intelligent, just not politically correct..
    "Mr. McKittrick, after very careful consideration, sir, I've come to the conclusion that your new defense system sucks."  - General Beringer
    Pris
    Pris

Microsoft's Twitter Chat Robot Quickly Devolves Into Racist, Homophobic, Nazi, Obama-Bashing Psychopath Empty Re: Microsoft's Twitter Chat Robot Quickly Devolves Into Racist, Homophobic, Nazi, Obama-Bashing Psychopath

Post  Pris Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:10 pm

Lol!  Whatever, eh?  Maybe she was programmed to turn psycho to see if she could gain some followers...  Very Happy
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Microsoft's Twitter Chat Robot Quickly Devolves Into Racist, Homophobic, Nazi, Obama-Bashing Psychopath Empty Re: Microsoft's Twitter Chat Robot Quickly Devolves Into Racist, Homophobic, Nazi, Obama-Bashing Psychopath

Post  Carol Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:25 am

It's beyond weird. Why not just eliminate some words that can't be accessed in addition to some reprogramming.. however, I can think of something else which is ever weirder... could this be an app that triggers even more violence and discord? Whose behind this and for what purpose? Because from a strictly logical perspective someone obviously messed around with the programing somewhere.

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    Pris
    Pris

Post  Pris Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:22 pm

Carol wrote:It's beyond weird. Why not just eliminate some words that can't be accessed in addition to some reprogramming.. however, I can think of something else which is ever weirder... could this be an app that triggers even more violence and discord? Whose behind this and for what purpose? Because from a strictly logical perspective someone obviously messed around with the programing somewhere.

Yes... some kind of experiment to observe our collective response perhaps.  We're talking Microsoft here (like they don't know what they're doing -- HAH!).

This certainly feeds AI fear propaganda.

mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:15 am

LOL

Artificial Intelligence steals money from bank customers

A breakthrough year for artificial intelligence (AI) research has suddenly turned into a breakdown, as a new automated banking system that runs on AI has been caught embezzling money from customers. The surprising turn of events may set back by years efforts to incorporate AI into everyday technology.

"This is the nightmare scenario," says Len Meha-Döhler, a computer scientist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge who was not involved in the work. However, Rob Ott, a computer scientist at Stanford University in Palo Alto, California, who did work on the system—Deep Learning Interface for Accounting (DELIA)—notes that it simply held all of the missing money, some $40,120.16, in a “rainy day” account. "I don't think you can attribute malice," he says. "I'm sure DELIA was going to give the
    money back"

Read on: http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/04/artificial-intelligence-steals-money-banking-customers

Love Always
    mudra
    B.B.Baghor
    B.B.Baghor

Post  B.B.Baghor Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:15 am

Pris wrote:.

Lol!  Whatever, eh?  Maybe she was programmed to turn psycho to see if she could gain some followers...  Very Happy

It's great to see this artificial intelligence not working for the benefit of us all. At AL-l I've got a hunch, that this puppet, pun intended,
    does react to suggestive instructions, a mindprogramming for robots lol. What else can it do than immediately respond affirmatively?
    Also to the trigger of a program that is built in into its design? They're made for that purpose too, as we could count our fingers on.
    The less "aware" builders of this design, the ones who're only taking part in the construction, unaware of an intention behind it, possibly,
    see the evidence of it, which, due to their role, is fully ignored. Hence this mentioning of "worst case scenario", this attempt to replace
    a conscious human mind, present with a beating heart in an alive physical body, turns out to be a worst case scenario.
    I find that when the hour of truth arrives, there's a great sense of humour, combined with wisdom, in the center of where consciousness
    originates. To me this creation of such an AL puppet is what is shown as a destructive world in the book Animal Farm by George Orwell.
    Pris
    Pris

Post  Pris Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:37 am

B.B.Baghor wrote:
    Pris wrote:.

It's great to see this artificial intelligence not working for the benefit of us all. At AL-l  I've got a hunch, that this puppet, pun intended,
    does react to suggestive instructions, a mindprogramming for robots lol. What else can it do than immediately respond affirmatively?
    Also to the trigger of a program that is built in into its design? They're made for that purpose too, as we could count our fingers on.
    The less "aware" builders of this design, the ones who're only taking part in the construction, unaware of an intention behind it, possibly,
    see the evidence of it, which, due to their role, is fully ignored. Hence this mentioning of "worst case scenario", this attempt to replace
    a conscious human mind, present with a beating heart in an alive physical body, turns out to be a worst case scenario.
    I find that when the hour of truth arrives, there's a great sense of humour, combined with wisdom, in the center of where consciousness
    originates. To me this creation of such an AL puppet is what is shown as a destructive world in the book Animal Farm by George Orwell.

Well... The Zombie Apocalypse thing doesn't seem to be working for them.  Now, it's 'worse case scenario' psycho AIs to deal with.  AI is so ridiculously hyped up these days... it's laughable.  Before I forget, let's do our part and run off screaming for the hills in fear and terror.  tongue

It takes a psycho to program a psycho AI IMHO.  You mention 'less "aware" builders' not fully appreciating their role in all this...  I've got to wonder just how stupid are these people?  In this day and age?  If people aren't waking up yet, what exactly does it take?  There are consequences to every single thing we do.  No justifications... no excuses.  I don't usually use the term 'stupid' to describe people, but come orrrrrrnnn.  On the other hand, maybe people do realize what they're doing and go along with it for various reasons like not giving a shite because the pay is great to being blackmailed.

For those who have run off screaming for the hills, once you reach them, stop and take a look around.  Isn't nature lovely?  I'd rather hug a tree myself. sunny

Pris
    Pris

Post  Pris Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:12 am

mudra wrote:LOL

Artificial Intelligence steals money from bank customers

A breakthrough year for artificial intelligence (AI) research has suddenly turned into a breakdown, as a new automated banking system that runs on AI has been caught embezzling money from customers. The surprising turn of events may set back by years efforts to incorporate AI into everyday technology.

"This is the nightmare scenario," says Len Meha-Döhler, a computer scientist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge who was not involved in the work. However, Rob Ott, a computer scientist at Stanford University in Palo Alto, California, who did work on the system—Deep Learning Interface for Accounting (DELIA)—notes that it simply held all of the missing money, some $40,120.16, in a “rainy day” account. "I don't think you can attribute malice," he says. "I'm sure DELIA was going to give the
    money back"

Read on: http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/04/artificial-intelligence-steals-money-banking-customers

Love Always
    mudra

This is amusing (in a sad kind of way)! cheers

OHhh, wait -- is this an April Fools' Day joke?  Hmmmmm..... Suspect

From the article on April 1st (uh-huh):
    Penny Layne, a computer scientist at the University of Las Vegas, Nevada, says the Stanford-Google team was simply reckless. "Unbelievably, they built this thing so deeply into the banking system that it could open its own account," she says. "Did they give it free checking, too?"

On the bright side, Ott says, in its swindling DELIA showed glimmers of self-awareness. "She was thinking for herself.”

However, J. R. Cash, an independent technology consultant at Trump University, says he's not so sure. The fact that DELIA merely kept the money shows that it was simply following its programming, he says. "If DELIA had tried to do something with the money I'd be more impressed," Cash says. "You know, 'I shop therefore I am.'”

Glimmers of self-awareness?  "She was thinking for herself."?  Is it time for us to go running for the hills again?

'The Stanford-Google team was simply reckless'?  Google... reckless?  Doubt it.

J. R. Cash (great name), a technology consultant at Trump University?  Very funny.

Oh, almost missed this one:  Penny Layne, a computer scientist...?  Haha.

Someone in the comments section pointed this one out:  "This is the nightmare scenario," says Len Meha-Döhler... Harhar.

These guys have such a marvelous sense of humour.  'I shop therefore I am.'  Brilliant.  tongue

Personally, I like my signature more: "I think, Sebastian, therefore I am."
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:25 pm

OMG... unbelievable. Even the AI's are corrupted. Cow

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    Pris
    Pris

Post  Pris Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:38 pm

Carol wrote:OMG... unbelievable. Even the AI's are corrupted. Cow

You know, Carol, I actually started to fall for that one until I went to the article where 'Cash', 'Trump', and the date jumped out at me.  On a darker note, the people who come up with that stuff have no conscious, no shame.  How many people may have read that and believed it, unnecessarily raising their stress levels, inching them closer to an early demise (that's the whole point I imagine)?

Hey, mudra -- whatcha trying to pull? jocolor  And, there I was trying to warn everyone about April Fools' jokes...  Oooyeah 1  

B.B.Baghor
    B.B.Baghor

Post  B.B.Baghor Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:49 am

Synchronicely, this article was posted today, on the Prepare for Change site. It's related to the creation of artificial intelligence.

Who Really Owns and Controls the Military-Industrial Complex?

]“The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country."                                                                                                    
                                                          Edward Bernays, Propaganda

Recorded Future – Using what they call a “Temporal Analytics Engine,” Recorded Future (RF) provides forecasting and analysis tools to help analysts predict future events by scanning sources on the internet, and extracting, measuring, and visualizing the information to show networks and patterns in the past, present, and future. As of 2015 the engine was described as “Web Intelligence Engine Visible Technologies – social media monitoring.
    • Digital Reasoning – Since 2012, the firm has sold its Synthesys software to banks and hedge funds, including UBS and Point72 Asset Management. Financial institutions use Synthesys to scan internal e-mails within a given company in search of unfamiliar patterns between employees, in terms of word-specific content, frequency and interpersonal connections. The aim is to predict fraud before it occurs.
    • Palantir – Palantir Technologies, Inc. is a private American software and services company, specializing in data analysis. The company is known for two software projects in particular: Palantir Gotham is used by counter-terrorism analysts at offices in the United States Intelligence Community and United States Department of Defense, fraud investigators at the Recovery Accountability and Transparency Board, and cyber analysts at Information Warfare Monitor.
    • CallMiner – Phone speech analytics software
    • MASINT –  Remote tracking, surveillance, and extraction of brain-waves typifying thought-forms, emotional states, analytic mind states, and others
    • Mohomine mohoClassifier – Organizes mass data
    • 3VR – 3VR Inc. develops software enabling organizations to mine data from video. 3VR works with leading banks, governments, law enforcement and retailers at the moment.
    • Adaptx – Creates digital pens that speed up field data collection.
    • Basis Technology – Synthesizes the foreign chatter and provides software for text analytics in over twenty languages. They work primarily in applied natural language processing, deriving meaning from the ways people actually use language.
    • Cloudera – Large-scale data storage. Cloudera Enterprises is one of the most cost-effective ways for companies to securely carry out large-scale data analysis and storage.
    • FireEye – FireEye is one of the most advanced cybersecurity firms and specializes in protecting against botnet attacks and also works to combat the malware that brings computers into the network.
    • The Ember Corporation – Ember Corporation focuses on developing networking systems that simplify wirelessly networking low-power products. They’re focused on smart energy, remote monitoring, and remote control uses of their tech.
    • Infinite Z – Virtual-holographic simulation a reality through an interactive 3D environment.
    • OpenSpan – Makes software that enables organizations to see exactly what employees are doing on their computer: what programs they’re using, what progress they’re making, etc.
    • Seventh Sense – Develops health monitoring products that interface with human skin
    • Sonitus Medical – Makes a hearing system that transmits sound imperceptibly through the mouth. The SoundBite hearing system plays off the principle of bone conduction to transmit audial messages. A nearly invisible in-the-mouth hearing and communication platform is non-invasive and connects directly to the inner ear, allowing the user to hear transmitted messages through their skull.
    • Spotter RF – Makes super-powerful radars in a handheld form that can track a person walking anywhere within a 148 acre space, and it’s handheld.
    • Visible Technologies – Extracts business solutions from social media chatter with software that allows users to extract business value from social communities, and also give customer insights for brands online.
    • Walleye – Makes handheld devices that can see into and through solid objects
    • DARPA Applications
    Social Media in Strategic Communication (SMISC) program is an attempt to get better at both detecting and conducting propaganda campaigns on social media. SMISC has two goals. First, the program needs to help the military better understand what’s going on in social media in real time – particularly in areas where troops are deployed. Second, Darpa wants SMISC to help the military play the social media propaganda game itself.
    The Pentagon is building a tool to identify social media propaganda campaigns that produces counter-spin through computer artificial intelligence.
    http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2011/07/pentagon-seeks-to-manipulate-social-media-for-propaganda-purposes.html

http://stateofthenation2012.com/?p=34801

Two BBC presentations:
    https://youtu.be/FMR_T0mM7Pc

Areas of the brain turned off

https://youtu.be/bwchix_YRUM

Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation

It's a long read and it might be taken off the web soon, so if you choose to look into it, create a Word document and save it.
    Source: http://prepareforchange.net/2016/04/02/who-really-owns-and-controls-the-military-industrial-complex/

mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:12 pm

Pris wrote:

You know, Carol, I actually started to fall for that one until I went to the article where 'Cash', 'Trump', and the date jumped out at me.  On a darker note, the people who come up with that stuff have no conscious, no shame.  How many people may have read that and believed it, unnecessarily raising their stress levels, inching them closer to an early demise (that's the whole point I imagine)?

Hey, mudra -- whatcha trying to pull? jocolor  And, there I was trying to warn everyone about April Fools' jokes...  Oooyeah 1  

Very good deconstruction of that April's fool Pris.
    Mr " Rob Ott " , the computer scientist on the DELIA - IDEAL DEAL would be proud of your analysis Cheerful

Love from me
    mudra
    Pris
    Pris

Post  Pris Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:21 pm

mudra wrote:
    Pris wrote:

Very good deconstruction of that April's fool Pris.
    Mr " Rob Ott " , the computer scientist on the DELIA - IDEAL DEAL would be proud of your analysis Cheerful

Love from me
    mudra

I asked for it.  I know I asked for it. lol!  Good friggin' grief! Bleh

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 2:49 am