tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

2 posters

Turns out that seeking adventure is actually in our DNA

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Turns out that seeking adventure is actually in our DNA Empty Turns out that seeking adventure is actually in our DNA

Post  Carol Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:18 pm

Turns out that seeking adventure is actually in our DNA

Turns out that seeking adventure is actually in our DNA 1_seeking-adventure-is-actually-in-our-DNA

Living a routine life has never appealed to me. The idea of repeating the everyday, seeing the same people everyday, is a glorified depression disguised as a life. Two years ago, I decided that I needed to make a change. I had watched my best friends go off to university in different cities while I thought I would be enjoying the benefits of a comfortable life at home. I saw people go from school to their part-time job, and back again. Everything in their lives was planned and each move carefully calculated. It was then that I decided that I had to change something; I needed to take a risk.

Turns out that seeking adventure is actually in our DNA 2_seeking-adventure-is-actually-in-our-DNA

It was around this time, during my second year of university, that one of my friends moved away to Europe for the summer to live somewhat of a nomadic life before working over there, and I soon realized that I felt nothing but envy towards them. This was somebody who made the impossible seem possible, and what better of an adrenaline rush is there to prove to yourself that you can accomplish what many wouldn’t dare attempt? It was then that I made the decision that no matter how scared I was, I would give travelling on my own a try. The risk of failing to thrive in another country somehow paled in comparison to the restlessness of the everyday, routine life. It was a risk, but the excitement of the adrenaline rush for me was far greater than the fear.

Turns out that seeking adventure is actually in our DNA 3_seeking-adventure-is-actually-in-our-DNA

It’s decisions like these that seem to beg the question, why do some people absolutely love the feeling of risk, while others loathe deterring from their comfortable lives and familiarity? The reason thrill-seeking may be the ultimate rush for you, but scares your best friend, is that scientists are saying that there is actually a risk-taking gene. The gene DRD4 is closely tied to prompting risk-seeking behavior. This gene is able to coerce the person it inhibits into partaking in risky behaviors that cause a rush of dopamine to the brain, resulting in happiness and excitement. Dopamine, a natural drug, floods the brain with good feelings when an individual participates in a risky experience, and, like a drug, once the “user” likes what they feel, they can’t get enough and only crave more.

Turns out that seeking adventure is actually in our DNA 4_seeking-adventure-is-actually-in-our-DNA

Clinical psychologists have actually equated the sense of rush that adrenaline seekers attain to a sort of meditation, a fulfillment, so to speak, when they are experiencing the adrenaline rush they chase. Those who have this gene use risk-taking as a form of drug, they get their best “high” when they are partaking in some kind activity most would deem dangerous. People with this gene are more likely to find themselves attempting activities that others wouldn’t dare attempt. The gene makes the sense of reward, one that comes along with risk, something much more central in the brain than the risk itself, and the result is a modern day daredevil. So next time you feel the magnetic pull of a risky feat and crave adrenaline pumping through your veins, thank your mom and dad. After all, they were the ones who provided you with such cool DNA.

http://www.theplaidzebra.com/turns-seeking-adventure-actually-dna/

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    Pris
    Pris

Turns out that seeking adventure is actually in our DNA Empty Re: Turns out that seeking adventure is actually in our DNA

Post  Pris Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:45 pm

Man, I must be hooked on dopamine. Very Happy
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Turns out that seeking adventure is actually in our DNA Empty Re: Turns out that seeking adventure is actually in our DNA

Post  Carol Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:30 am

I did do a lot of river rafting, hiked down into the Grand Canyon, flew a small plane, took up scuba diving, parasailed.. wanted to do some zip line but may not be permitted.. bunji jumping is out now along with sky diving. sigh..

Pris
    Pris

Post  Pris Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:37 pm

Carol wrote:I did do a lot of river rafting, hiked down into the Grand Canyon, flew a small plane, took up scuba diving, parasailed.. wanted to do some zip line but may not be permitted.. bunji jumping is out now along with sky diving. sigh..

Wow...  in my wildest dreams...  Sounds amazing.  At least you've already done those things... cheers  I hope one day I get a chance to try some things like what you've described (it doesn't help having a partner who completely lacks the 'thrill gene' Turns out that seeking adventure is actually in our DNA Animation-03).   

I've gotten my 'danger' thrills in other ways like driving for hours and hours through the mountains at night in shitty/snowy weather.  Then there's the fully-loaded U-Hauls (too many to count in all different sizes up to 27 footers)... Once, I drove for 50+ hours cross the country (and through the mountains) in one go (through the night and heavy rain) with maybe a two hour snooze break in there... that was after spending most of the previous day loading up the truck with my partner (just the two of us, no sleep).  

There's this amusement park ride called, 'Chaos'.  If I had it in my backyard, I'd never come off.

Found a picture:

Turns out that seeking adventure is actually in our DNA Maxresdefault

HAaaaaaahh!! -- someone's actually uploaded a video of it on Youtube!  Huge Grin

This POV video almost gets the feel of it... Insanely Happy
    (If you're thinking, 'Oh, it's just a safe ride', read the description.)

The tumbling, flying feeling on this ride (with gravity/acceleration/'centrifugal' forces) is very similar to some OBEs I've had.

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:52 am

Pris, I learned along the way if I wanted adventure to go for it whether my partner was interested or not. He knew I would leave him behind and did on several occasions when he didn't want to go. Once on a trip to Hawaii and another on a trip to Europe. Don't let that stop you. Give your partner the opportunity to come along and go by yourself he isn't interested.

Pris
    Pris

Post  Pris Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:37 pm

You're right, Carol.  I've always tried to do things with my partner to share the experience, but you're right.  He's just not interested in excitement and adventure and that shouldn't stop me.  

We have parasailing here...  I'm going to try that out this summer by myself.  cheers

Pris
    Pris

Post  Pris Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:02 pm

Oooh... they've got zip lines near here...!! Crazy Happy
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:08 pm

Do the zip line and take pictures! yea..

Just don't Bunji Jump naked.

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:17 pm

Pris
    Pris

Post  Pris Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:52 am

Been checking it out... those zip lines look super fun.  OMGosh. Shocked

LOL very funny lady! Insanely Happy  And, great accent! Big Grin 2

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 4:02 pm