tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

+8
JesterTerrestrial
Brook
Aquaries1111
magamud
Sanicle
getlikeme
burgundia
mudra
12 posters

The Price of Our Comfortable Lives

Brook
    Brook

The Price of Our Comfortable Lives - Page 5 Empty Re: The Price of Our Comfortable Lives

Post  Brook Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:59 am

Now that's what you call decorum.

That's my girl!

Keep up the good work Mudra.

Brook 
    Love from me

Brook
    mudra
    mudra

The Price of Our Comfortable Lives - Page 5 Empty Re: The Price of Our Comfortable Lives

Post  mudra Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:37 pm

Thank You Brook

And You Too .

The Karen 

Love for You
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:04 pm

Why Are Environmental Activists Being Murdered at a Record Rate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7cebbTagEw

Love Always
    mudra
    Aquaries1111
    Aquaries1111

Post  Aquaries1111 Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:25 pm

Mudra,

I didn't mean any "disrespect", actually, twas eye that came up with the phrase "Speak Your Mind" before "Google Stole It". Actually, I'm quite pleased at your "discreet response", as for Brook, I suppose the second mirror and not the third is all she can see. We all know here that I am far from a Spammer, actually, perhaps Dear Brook, I am a third mirror, which you choose not yet to see. Again, thank you Mudra, for your Love and your tact! Love from you is Love to you!

Let's see Mudra, How about something for you?

mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:31 am

Thank you Aquaries.
    That's fine with me.

The Price of Our Comfortable Lives - Page 5 1907949_10152377392918685_4743609974624936475_n

Brook just stood by me as a call of heart from a human being to support another human being.
    I appreciate that.

Love from me
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:40 am

The Price of Our Comfortable Lives - Page 5 10013571_10152417988033185_5336717019151052224_n

Become earth, that you may grow flowers of many colors. For you have been heart-breaking rock. Once, for the sake of experiment, be earth.

Rumi

Love Always
    mudra
    Brook
    Brook

Post  Brook Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:55 am

I didn't mean any "disrespect", actually, twas eye that came up with the phrase "Speak Your Mind" before "Google Stole It". Actually, I'm quite pleased at your "discreet response", as for Brook, I suppose the second mirror and not the third is all she can see. We all know here that I am far from a Spammer, actually, perhaps Dear Brook, I am a third mirror, which you choose not yet to see. Again, thank you Mudra, for your Love and your tact! Love from you is Love to you!

The price of our comfortable lives include some things some never achieved.

In an ideal world taking responsibility for our actions would be part of the price of growing up.  However it's been shown over and over again many do not take responsibility for their actions. Many do not grow.

Case in point:

I didn't mean any "disrespect"

"I'm sorry" for my actions would be taking responsibility. Because Debra you absolutely did mean disrespect.

Aquaries1111 wrote:

Where's the Spice? Where's the Paprika? Is our curry so tasteless we only taste sweet fluffy marshmallows? I am fed up of fluffy marshmallows and Mudra's recipe's of boring old desserts, so dried up we need a cheer! Cheers!
    Really, we need some good old common sense advisory!  Do we need to read an article to tell us not to cross traffic when it is zooming? Do we need an article to tell us our Stocks are up or down? Who is dictating your financial affairs and your home grown tomatoes? Who is writing articles about the blessings that the Sun is giving to us and our crops? Seriously Mudra and Ortho, your opposites in my taste have no true taste. I like bitter Lemon. Can you taste it? Can you smell it? I can!

Of course the post here by one and the same was written within minutes of this.

...twas eye that came up with the phrase "Speak Your Mind" before "Google Stole It".

In one sentence taking zero responsibility for actions on this forum:

I mean no disrespect yet claim to have came up with a phrase:

The Price of Our Comfortable Lives - Page 5 Speak-your-mind-even-if-your-voice-shakes

Some advice;

Dodging responsibility for your actions using mirror colloquialism upon another to shift that responsibility is a grave error in judgement and one of the great problems in the price of our comfortable lives.

~

“If you propose to speak, always ask yourself, is it true, is it necessary, is it kind.” ~Buddha

~

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.~ Abraham Lincoln

Brook 

Brook
    Brook

Post  Brook Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:37 am

mudra wrote:

Brook just stood by me as a call of heart from a human being to support another human being.
    I appreciate that.

Love from me
    mudra

That about sums it up...

Flowers

mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:01 pm

Brook

You wear the sword of justice in your heart bravely as a Samourai

The Price of Our Comfortable Lives - Page 5 Hero-2002-woman-white-sword

The Karen 

Love for You
    mudra
    JesterTerrestrial
    JesterTerrestrial

Post  JesterTerrestrial Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:10 pm

OMG now she got Brook all phiyered up look Out could get wild lol and the catalyst has already been issued now prepare for the karmic feedback as the tides turn and the rightful owners of this dimension speak freely into the aether affecting the very outcome of life and the real wizards and witches share ancient knowledge and wisdom because its way past time and it is the write thing to do!!!

DD HAS BEEN A DISRUPTION FOR MANY YEARS NOW!!!

She wound up in my chat after the fall out from many others who got tired of her constant meltdowns and inablility to comprehend what was being discussed during the days leading upto the reconfiguration of the universe!  

It dose not suprise me that Mudra would be attacked after all the years of standing strong I have not forgotten what avalon is and what it means to the real soul family!

BEWARE WHEN EXCALIBUR COMES FLYING IN YOUR DIRECTION AS MY SWORD DRAWS BLOOD AND WILL LEAVE YOUR HEART ON THE FLOOR!!!

From exile in the mists of avlon the original round has shared cosmic energy and dimensional connections that the average mind can not even decode so it is expected that they will attack us because we have the energy and its not for sale! I saw the comments and had not had a chance to respond as quick to tell dd off again as clearly she has not comprehend the message from the last several months or years of trolling us since the days of project avalon where the magic was brought back for free where they fools trolls dis info agents retards frauds shills tried to monitize the truth movement so they could be superstars and be the ones to get et contact and the whole time there we were talking to you then telling you who we are and guess what here we still are AVALON!!! STANDING FOR TRUTH AND NEVER GIVING UP!!! AND FOR DAMN SURE NOT ALLOWING YOU TO ATTACK THE MOTHER OF AVALON!!! OMG YOU HAVE LOST YOUR MINDS!!! Without the networking and sharing of like minded individuals we would never have information on many topics that will not be discussedhere because I am tried of giving information awat for free as the mists of avalon somehow has managed to survived all these years as a light house for those who once came to speak and network to return to get to the core truth of what the hell is going on...and it sure looks like something is going on eh! Obviously if you have been paying attention for the last few years you may have noticed the spiritual revolution as the old world order colapses. Many read our words and try to steal what is given for free while using secific tactics to try and hold us back as God returns to creation write now!  So again I ask why are you on my island if you are not here to smash the oldworld order to oblivion and launch a golden age of truth and abundance!!! There is work to do and real information taht could benifit those who are starting to wake up to who and what they are!!! GODS!!! ON MY PLANET!!! MERLIN JT! MAAT

Recently the entire crew was sent to blast off as the money system has left the world at the mercy of the global banks! They have been told to cease and desist! I AM DEMANDING YOU STOP WITH THE INSANITY OF WAR AND OIL AND FIAT MONEY AND CLASS DIVISION!!! WE EVEN HAVE LOVE FOR DD!!! WHOEVER YOU ARE!!! WE ARE HERE TO RECLAIM WHAT IS OUR!!! EARTH!!! EXTRA TERRESTRIAL CONTACT IS REQUIRED FOR THE NATIONS OF THE WORLD TO OVERCOME THE FLAWED FRAME WORK THAT HUMANITY IS TRAPPED IN!!! AND THAT IS WHAT WE HAD BEEN AND SOMEDAYS STILL ARE TRYING TO GIVE YOU!!! MY TEAM DECODED THE BIBLE!!! MAYBE IT WAS OURS TO START WITH!!! MAYBE EVERYTHING YOU HAVE IS OURS!!! MAYBE YOU OWE ME THREE HUNDRED TRILLION DOLLARS!!!

WE NEVER GIVE UP!!! WE ARE THE RAINBOW WARRIORS!!! AND WE ARE BACK!!! OHYA!!!

THE NEXT ROUNDS OF COSMICS UPDATES WILL PROVE TO BAKE UP A COSMIC STORM!!!

FOR NOTHING OTHER THEN PURE ALCHEMICAL MAGIC FROM THE HIGHEST DIMENSION!!!

STAY TUNED... UFO2 

The Price of Our Comfortable Lives - Page 5 Burne-Jones_Last_Sleep_of_Arthur_in_Avalon_v2

The Price of Our Comfortable Lives - Page 5 Ripples-final-text-1504-x-2248

The Price of Our Comfortable Lives - Page 5 Maxresdefault

The Price of Our Comfortable Lives - Page 5 ReluctantKing%2BAMAZON

The Price of Our Comfortable Lives - Page 5 Sword_of_Light_Cvr

The Price of Our Comfortable Lives - Page 5 Winx__delix_the_avalon_union_by_dragonshinyflame-d5vrenp

The Price of Our Comfortable Lives - Page 5 Tumblr_mzoqxxxgQM1rtynt1o1_1280

The Price of Our Comfortable Lives - Page 5 Avalon_timo_tolkki___single_n_1_cover_by_stan_w_d-d669osl

The Price of Our Comfortable Lives - Page 5 899313-wp1_1280x1024

The Price of Our Comfortable Lives - Page 5 EchoesOfAvalon2_dark

The Price of Our Comfortable Lives - Page 5 Img_bk_water_avalon

The Price of Our Comfortable Lives - Page 5 Chalice-Well-Head-small-969x1024

WELL COME TO THE ROUND TABLE STANDING ROOM ONLY THE DRINKS ARE FREE!!!

The Price of Our Comfortable Lives - Page 5 Earth-fire-water-and-air-5138-1920x1200

The Price of Our Comfortable Lives - Page 5 Fantacy-element-earth-fire-wind-water-wallchan-918310
    Brook
    Brook

Post  Brook Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:25 pm

mudra wrote:
    Brook

You wear the sword of justice in your heart bravely as a Samourai

The Price of Our Comfortable Lives - Page 5 Hero-2002-woman-white-sword

The Karen 

Love for You
    mudra

Love that photo Mudra!

By the way...I'm not all phiyered up.  I'm simply not going to let this attempt at attention seeking (spamming) go so quietly in the night without consequence for the actions of words/sword and their intended purpose.

If you're going to throw them (words) in the wind... take responsibility for their repercussions. 

mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:26 am

JT you take things much at heart.
    You are passionnate and I appreciate that
    But quieten your thoughts my friend.
    Let's not built a mountain here.
    This was just the passage of Aquaries on this thread
    and the ripples her young soul created here.
    Nothing that stops me/us to carry on.
    The work goes on .

Let's there be peace

For all is like an ocean,
    all flows and connects;
    touch it in one place
    and it echoes at the other end of the world

Dostoevsky

The Price of Our Comfortable Lives - Page 5 Coquil12

Love for You
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:56 pm

The Price of Our Comfortable Lives - Page 5 ParticipantMedia_TheGreatInVisible_unseenOil

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:16 pm

Through Burgundia on Facebook

U.S. Navy to Deploy 'Combat Dolphins' for Black Sea Military Drills

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVcbKH24l9A

How insane that is ! Shocked Shocked Shocked 

Love Always
    mudra 
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:50 pm

Fracking's radwaste - supervision remains inadequate
    Sharon Kelly / DeSmogBlog

22nd April 2014

The Price of Our Comfortable Lives - Page 5 1010881_10151951251761618_5626090263935906460_n

After over a decade of fracking, oversight of the industry's radioactive waste is still lacking, reports Sharon Kelly. Over half of the 280 billion gallons a year of radioactive waste water from fracking ends up in rivers and streams.

The propensity for radium to accumulate also raises questions about the metal tanks, trucks and pipes used to transport fracking wastewater.
    It has been roughly twelve years since fracking launched the great shale rush in the US and the biggest problem with the technology - how to safely dispose of the enormous quantities of toxic waste generated - remains unsolved.

In particular, regulators have struggled to fully understand or police the hazards posed by radioactivity found in fracking waste.

The most common form of radioactivity in shale waste comes from radium-226, which happens also to be an isotope that takes the longest to decay.

To be exact, radium-226's half-life of roughly 1,600 years means that well over a millennium and a half from now, more than half of the radium that fracking brings to the surface today will still be emitting dangerous radioactive particles.

'Worrisome and extensive gaps'

Concern about the waste has taken on renewed urgency in light of a detailed report published in Environmental Health Perspectives (EHP), a peer-reviewed scientific journal which is backed by the National Institutes of Health.

The study concluded that worrisome and extensive gaps in federal and state oversight of this radioactivity problem still persist.

"At the federal level, radioactive oil and gas waste is exempt from nearly all the regulatory processes the general public might expect would govern it", the researchers wrote. "State laws are a patchwork."

This is not an entirely new finding. Several years ago, a New York Times investigative piece highlighted how the oil and gas industry routinely dumped radium-laced waste water into rivers. State regulators in Pennsylvania and the oil and gas industry adamantly denied there was a problem.

So what's changed? The recent academic study concludes that even several years later, worrisome oversight lapses remain. As such, the researchers wrote, there is continuing reason for concern.

Radium 226 in drinking water?

"We are troubled by people drinking water that [could potentially have] radium-226 in it", David Brown, a public health toxicologist with the Southwest Pennsylvania Environmental Health Project, told the researchers. "When somebody calls us and says 'is it safe to drink our water,' the answer is 'I don't know.'"

But there is more that makes this recent study important. Much of the public's attention has focused on the hazards of 280 billions of gallons of radioactive wastewater generated every year by drillers.

Regulators have found it difficult to keep tabs on how that waste is handled or how it is disposed, often relying on data self-reported by drillers. A study last year found that over half of Marcellus wastewater still winds up sent to treatment plants that discharge into rivers and streams.

However, in order to truly keep tabs on all of the radioactive materials from fracking, it's necessary to understand that the radium often winds up accumulating on the surfaces it comes into contact with - dirt, pipes and holding tanks.

read on:  Arrow http://www.theecologist.org/News/news_analysis/2363263/frackings_radwaste_supervision_remains_inadequate.html

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:36 pm

Permaculture vs Gold Mining in Guatemala

Guatemalan farmers are finding solutions in permaculture to grow their own food and protect the landscape from the destructive gold mining industry.

In the arid mountain village of Tuixcajchis, Aurelia Jimenez Zacories is always growing something on her small but productive tract of land. She spends her days coaxing vegetables and the staples of corn, wheat and potatoes from the soil, raising livestock, building organic soil, planting trees and saving her seeds for the next harvest. Aurelia is a Maya-Mam woman, mother, wife and farmer.

For 2,000 years, Maya-Mam farmers of northwestern Guatemala, descendants of the Maya civilization, which flourished from 2000 BC to AD 900, have been planting and harvesting criolla (indigenous) maize, beans and ayote (pumpkin) on small plots of land scattered along the sides of the sun-baked Sierra Madre de Chiapas mountains.

Today, many Maya-Mam farmers are integrating aspects of permaculture, agroecology and agroforestry into the way they grow food - not only with the intention of feeding their families - but with the larger goal of resisting and struggling against the social and environmental changes caused by gold, silver and nickel mining on their indigenous territories.
    Environmental & Social Impact of Gold Mining

In 2003, the Guatemalan government leased the land from underneath the Maya-Mam’s homes and gardens to a Canadian-incorporated company, Glamis Gold - without conducting public consultation, or receiving community consent. It wasn’t agricultural land the government was after; it was what lay beneath the soil on which people planted: mass reserves of gold, silver and nickel for large-scale mineral extraction.

After signing the lease with the Guatemalan government, Glamis Gold set forth developing Marlin Mine in the province of San Marcos with a major helping hand from the World Bank’s International Financing Corporation who lent the company $45 million dollars.

When local Maya-Mam communities learnt of the mine being constructed on their indigenous land, they began to protest that their government had broken the International Labor Organization Convention 169 on Indigenous and Tribal Peoples, which ensures indigenous people’s land rights and rights to self-determination.

read on:  Arrow http://www.permaculture.co.uk/articles/permaculture-vs-gold-mining-guatemala

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:13 am

2014 Goldman winners - fighting coal, dams, palm oil, fracking, toxic waste

Sophie Morlin-Yron

28th April 2014

The Price of Our Comfortable Lives - Page 5 376936

Six environment heroes, one from each continent, are honoured for their work today - fighting threats from giant coal mines to forest destruction, fracking, high dams, illegal development and toxic waste dumps. Sophie Morlin-Yron reports.

Recipients are not only tackling some of the world's most pressing environmental problems; they are also achieving impressive environmental victories and inspiring others to do the same.

San Francisco. The Goldman Environmental Foundation today announced the six recipients of the so called Nobel Prize for the environment, the 2014 Goldman Environmental Prize.

Suren Gazaryan, Russia

An internationally recognized bat expert and zoologist, Suren Gazaryan led multiple campaigns exposing government corruption and illegal use of federally protected forestland along Russia's Black Sea coast near the site of the 2014 Winter Olympics.

Read our exclusive interview with the European prize winner Suren Gazaryan.

Ramesh Agrawal, India

With a small internet café as his headquarters, Ramesh Agrawal organized villagers to demand their right to information about industrial development projects and succeeded in shutting down one of the largest proposed coal mines in Chhattisgarh.

Ruth Buendia Mestoquiari, Peru

Overcoming a history of traumatic violence, Ruth Buendía united the Asháninka people in a powerful campaign against large-scale dams that would have once again uprooted indigenous communities still recovering from Peru's civil war.

Desmond D'sa, South Africa

Desmond D'Sa rallied south Durban's diverse and disenfranchised communities to successfully shut down a toxic waste dump that exposed nearby residents to dangerous chemicals and violated their constitutionally protected right to a safe and clean environment.

Rudi Putra, Indonesia

A biologist by training, Rudi Putra is dismantling illegal palm oil plantations that are causing massive deforestation in northern Sumatra's Leuser Ecosystem, protecting the habitat of the critically endangered Sumatran rhino.

Helen Holden Slottje, USA

Using a clause in the state constitution that gives municipalities the right to make local land use decisions, Helen Slottje helped towns across New York defend themselves from oil and gas companies by passing local bans on fracking.

read on: http://www.theecologist.org/News/news_round_up/2376039/2014_goldman_winners_fighting_coal_dams_palm_oil_fracking_toxic_waste.html

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:16 am

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.
    This one proves it once again.

The Price of Our Comfortable Lives - Page 5 1559594_10152435207548729_3652758686665427739_n

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat May 03, 2014 3:37 pm

Who Pays the Price? The Human Cost of Electronics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns-kJ5Podjw

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sun May 04, 2014 3:29 pm

If you think your old TV is recycled somewhere in a hi-tech building, think again!

So what exactly happens to all the e-waste generated the world creates? This recreation area and wetland in Accra (Ghana) has turned into one of the biggest e-waste dumping sites in the world and all the toxic end up in the Atlantic Ocean.

Traders from across Europe, the U.S., China and India have therefore reportedly been sending containers of ‘Development Aid’ or ‘Second-Hand Products’ to Tema Harbour, the contents of which end up being dumped 20 miles east in Agbogbloshie. - Dailymail

As shown in these images taken by Photographer Kevin McElvaney, these boys and young men make their living by salvaging metals and burning cables to get to the copper inside.

Is this happening because of our ignorance or greed?

Surely the corporations responsible should be brought to justice for these crimes.

Agbogbloshe- Still not sponsored

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSbPjtY2YPg

Read More: http://www.trueactivist.com/if-you-think-your-old-tv-is-recycled-somewhere-in-a-hi-tech-building-think-again/

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon May 12, 2014 11:36 am

Steeped in blood - China's trade in Siamese rosewood

The Ecologist

12th May 2014

Precious Siamese rosewood has been illegally logged to the brink of extinction in the Mekong region to feed a voracious demand for luxury furniture in China which leaves a bloody trail of death, violence and corruption in its wake.

Unless swift and decisive action is taken to stem this bloody trade, we could well be looking at the extinction of Siamese rosewood in a matter of a very few years.

The illegal trade in Simaese rosewood has become a multi-billion dollar industry fuelled by high level corruption, according to a new report published today in Bangkok, Thailand, by the Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA).

It is also a business that is "recklessly destroying the increasingly scarce species on which it thrives", according to EIA, and one that is run by violent, well armed, murderous criminal gangs.

Routes of Extinction: The corruption and violence destroying Siamese rosewood in the Mekong shows how the trade is driven by the expanding wealthy elites in China - and their desire for the high-end Ming and Qing dynasty reproduction furniture, collectively known as hongmu.

Timber imports worth $1.4 billion per year

Chinese Government support for the industry, coupled with a growing trend for investing in hongmu, has seen demand for raw materials far outstrip domestic supply and has left the country heavily dependent on imports.

Between 2000-13, China imported a total of 3.5 million cubic metres of hongmu timber, almost half of it (US$2.4 billion worth) from the Mekong region - including Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand and Myanmar / Burma.

As a result, Siamese rosewood has become so scarce and valuable that logging it is now more akin to wildlife poaching - the tools of the trade are chainsaws, guns and even rocket-propelled grenades.

Routes of Extinction
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOmeX4acoO8

Armed violence is commonplace, and methamphetamines, aka yaba, are regularly used as both a stimulant and payment for loggers from border communities blighted by drug addiction.

read on: Arrow http://www.theecologist.org/News/news_round_up/2393271/steeped_in_blood_chinas_trade_in_siamese_rosewood.html

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Wed May 14, 2014 8:52 am

The medical experts who refuse to use low-energy lightbulbs in their homes: Professors have stocked up on old-style bulbs to protect against skin cancer and blindness.

‘How would you view a man who’s stockpiled a lifetime supply of old-fashioned lightbulbs because he believes low-energy bulbs could lead to blindness?

You might well dismiss him as dotty. But the man in question, John Marshall, is no crank. In fact, he’s one of Britain’s most eminent eye experts, the professor of ophthalmology at the University College London Institute of Ophthalmology. So concerned is he that he has boxes stacked with old-fashioned incandescent lightbulbs at home.

‘I bulk bought incandescent lightbulbs before the Government made it illegal to import them,’ he says.

‘I can’t give you an exact number, but I have enough to see me out.”

Nor is he alone in his concerns about modern lightbulbs. Another eminent British professor, John Hawk, an expert in skin disease, is warning they may cause sunburn-like damage, premature aging and even skin cancer.

He doesn't have any low-energy bulbs in his house, explaining: 'I have lots of old-style bulbs I bought in bulk when they were available.'

Incandescent bulbs had been the standard form of illumination for more than a century. But following an EU directive, the Government banned the import of 100-watt bulbs from 2009. This was followed by a ban on 60w bulbs in 2011 and a full ban on all 'traditional' bulbs in 2012.

More...

Why a tight belt can lead to sore knees as it changes the way stomach muscles work
    Superman surgeon who cycles to the rescue day and night - and even buys patients wine!
    ME AND MY OPERATION: Forty-minute wonder op to treat emphysema gets damaged lungs working again

The EU directive was aimed at cutting fuel and carbon emissions. The low-energy bulbs - or compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs), to give them their technical name - are said to use 80 per cent less electricity and to last longer.

Old-fashioned incandescent bulbs work by electrically heating a filament inside a glass globe filled with inert gas, so that it emits light.

Instead of a glowing filament, low-energy bulbs have argon and mercury vapour within a spiral-shaped tube. When the gas gets heated, it produces ultraviolet light. This stimulates a fluorescent coating painted on the inside of the tube. As this coating absorbs energy, it emits light.

The concern is about some of the light rays emitted in high levels by these bulbs, says Professor Marshall. Recent scientific evidence shows these specific rays are particularly damaging to human eyes and skin.

Light is made up of a spectrum of different coloured rays of light, which have different wavelengths. As he explains: 'Light is a form of radiation. The shorter the wavelength, the more energy it contains.
    'The most damaging part of the spectrum is the short wavelength light at the indigo/violet end of blue.
    'Incandescent bulbs did not cause problems, but these low-energy lamps emit high peaks of blue and ultraviolet light at this wavelength.'

Low-energy bulbs are said to use 80 per cent less electricity and to last longer

Low-energy bulbs are said to use 80 per cent less electricity and to last longer

HOW THEY CAN ATTACK YOUR EYES

In the same way ultraviolet rays in sunlight can cause premature aging in our skin if we get sunburnt, there is a similar situation in the eye, says Professor Marshall.

'You shed skin every five days, but your retina is with you for life.'

The retina at the back of the eye is vital for sight - it's made up of light-sensitive cells that trigger nerve impulses that pass via the optic nerve to the brain, where visual images are formed.

Sustained exposure to ultraviolet light wavelengths from CFLs increases the risk of two seriously debilitating eye conditions, macular degeneration and cataracts, the professor claims.

With macular degeneration, the macula, which is at the centre of the retina, becomes damaged with age. A cataract is a clouding of the lens inside the eye. These are two of the leading causes of blindness in Britain.

'If you are in a country with high levels of ultraviolet light, your eyes will age faster,' he says. 'This is why the incidence of cataracts is earlier and greater nearer the equator, where sunlight is at its strongest, so there is more light across all spectrums. CFLs may have a similar effect.

'The exposure can also significantly increase your risk of macular degeneration. The biggest risk factor for this is age, as it commonly starts to affect people from 60 to 80.

'You will almost certainly exacerbate that risk with low-energy lightbulbs,' adds the professor, who last month warned his colleagues of the dangers at Optrafair, a national education forum for opticians.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2626564/The-medical-experts-refuse-use-low-energy-lightbulbs-homes-Professors-stocked-old-style-bulbs-protect-against-skin-cancer-blindness-So-YOU-worried.html#ixzz31hKUWoVS

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Wed May 14, 2014 3:53 pm

Power Lines, Fallout and Childhood Leukemia
    by CHRIS BUSBY

The risk of leukemia for children living near power lines closely tracks levels of radiation from nuclear bomb test fallout, writes Chris Busby. The obvious explanation the ‘experts’ have chosen to ignore: the electro-magnetic fields increase radiation exposure.

The Childhood Cancer Research Group (CCRG) has recently published the results of a study of child leukemia near high voltage powerlines.

The conclusions have been widely reported as proving that there is no excess risk, as in Medical News Today:

“No childhood leukemia risk from power lines - Children who spend their early years living near overhead power lines are not at greater risk of developing childhood leukemia, according to researchers at the University of Oxford in the UK, who report their findings in the British Journal of Cancer.”

However it is a tortured interpretation of what the results really showed. What they found answers one of the most important questions in the area of childhood cancer, and one that I have been involved in for 20 years.

Enter the nuclear establishment’s wet blanket

The CCRG, based in Oxford, was set up originally in the 70s by Dr Gerald Draper. Draper began his career working for the late Dr Alice Stewart, whose ground-breaking research and data identified radiation as one cause of the increasing rates of the then largely new disease, childhood leukemia.

Alice told me she didn’t trust him. He quickly left her to set up the CCRG, an operation largely to parallel her own acquisition of childhood cancer data, but (mysteriously) much better funded.

The CCRG are essentially part of the environmental risk fire brigade funded by the government. Any suggestion that there is a problem (with radiation near nuclear sites, with high voltage powerlines, mobile phones, etc) is ‘independently’ investigated by CCRG – and the public are reassured.

It was CCRG that examined child cancer near nuclear sites and (through questionable methodology) recently gave an ‘all clear’. In my own studies of child leukemia in the UK (e.g., the Irish Sea, Aldermaston/ Harwell, Chepstow, Dumfries) Draper has popped up to have a go at me, and to play down any suggestion of links with radiation.

In 2005, however, CCRG went off at a tangent. Draper and colleagues carried out a study of childhood leukemia near high voltage powerlines.

This is an issue which has been an area of controversy since the 1970s when Wertheimer and Leeper first reported an association between low frequency (wiring) electromagnetic (EM) fields and childhood cancer. [4]

It’s a highly controversial area which has now generated enormous amount of research and which has spilled into the mobile phone-and-cancer arguments.

Identified – an excess of child leukemia near power lines

The Draper 2005 study or ‘CCRG study’ was a case-control study of a large number of children living in England and Wales diagnosed with cancer and leukemia living near high voltage power lines.

Results demonstrated a modest but statistically significant excess of child leukemia 0-14 in those living less than 600m away. For those children within 200m the relative risk RR was 1.64. That means that there was a 64% greater chance of developing childhood leukemia if the child lived less than 200m from a high voltage power line.

The study covered 1962-95 and involved 9,700 children with leukemia and the same number of controls. The powerlines examined were the 400 and 275kV lines. This result was, of course, rather embarrassing for the government and particularly the electricity supply industry.

Various committees were set up, including one, SAGE which, since I had carried out some research in this area (funded by Children with Leukemia CWL) I was invited to join when it began in 2004. I agreed, but the government found out, and I was suddenly dis-invited.

read on: Arrow http://www.counterpunch.org/2014/05/09/power-lines-fallout-and-childhood-leukemia/

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Thu May 15, 2014 3:21 pm

Industrializing Amazon at risk of 'ecosystem collapse'

David Hill

15th May 2014

The Amazon basin faces 'ecosystem collapse' according to a new report about hundreds of major dams and other mega-projects planned for the region - home to the world's greatest rainforest. David Hill reports.

This new wave of dam building in the headwaters of the Basin is a 'hydrological experiment' of continental proportions ...

412 hydroelectric dams will be built across the Amazon basin and its headwaters if current plans are fulfilled, potentially leading to the "end of free-flowing rivers", contributing to "ecosystem collapse", and causing huge social problems.

The warning comes in Mega-Development Projects in Amazonia: A geopolitical and socioenvironmental primer - a report written by anthropologist Paul Little.

Of the 412 dams already in operation, under construction or proposed, 256 are in Brazil, 77 in Peru, 55 in Ecuador, 14 in Bolivia, six in Venezuela, two in Guyana, and one each in Colombia, French Guyana and Surinam, according to the report. Of the 412 dams, 151 involve five of the six main rivers that drain into the Amazon after birthing in the Andes.

Critical changes in water flows

"The construction of many large-scale dams in the vast headwaters region of the Amazon Basin - encompassing parts of Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador and Colombia - will produce critical changes in continental water flows, with little knowledge of the ecological consequences of this policy", the report states.

"This new wave of dam building in the headwaters of the Basin is a 'hydrological experiment' of continental proportions, yet little is known scientifically of pan-Amazonian hydrological dynamics, creating the risk of provoking irreversible changes in rivers."

The report, co-authored and circulated by Peruvian NGO DAR, divides 'mega-development projects' into two kinds:

infrastructure, such as the transport and electricity sectors, which in turn includes hydroelectric dams and
    extractive, such as oil, gas and mining. The focus is on the number of current projects, the larger global financial, regional and geopolitical contexts, and the potential social and environmental impacts.

Highly uneven impacts

According to the report, "The weight of these socioenvironmental impacts is distributed in an extremely unequal manner.

"The majority of the benefits derived from the construction of megadevelopment projects accrue to economic and political actors external to Amazonia, such as large multinational corporations, the administrative apparatus of national governments and financial institutions.

"The majority of negative impacts of these same mega-development projects are borne by indigenous peoples, who suffer from the invasion of their territories, and local communities, which suffer from the proliferation of serious social and health problems."

read on: http://www.theecologist.org/News/news_round_up/2387834/industrializing_amazon_at_risk_of_ecosystem_collapse.html

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri May 16, 2014 4:38 pm

EPA - we demand oil and gas well pollution limits!

The Ecologist

16th May 2014

Sixty-four environmental and community groups have filed a petition to the EPA demanding federal limits on toxic air pollution from oil and gas wells which threaten the health of 150 million Americans.

Oil and gas wells release chemicals that have clearly and definitely been linked to health harms from nose bleeds and head aches to cancer, birth defects, and respiratory disease.

A coalition of 64 local, state and national groups have filed a petition urging the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to protect public health by setting pollution limits on oil and gas wells and associated equipment in population centers around the US.

In recent years, the pace of oil and gas drilling has increased drastically. As of 2011, oil and gas wells in the US numbered more than 1.04 million. Current estimates project that as many as 45,000 new wells could be drilled each year through 2035.

At least 100,000 tons per year of hazardous air pollution from oil and gas well sites - such as benzene, formaldehyde, and naphthalene - are currently going freely into the air, available data suggest. These pollutants have been linked to respiratory and neurological problems, birth defects, and cancer.

150 million Americans are at risk

The public interest law organization Earthjustice filed the petition on behalf of local and national groups with members and constituents across the US.

"More than 150 million Americans now live near oil and gas wells or above shale areas where companies are looking to drill or engage in hydraulic fracturing, and EPA needs to set standards that restrict the hazardous air pollutants they put into the air", said Earthjustice attorney Emma Cheuse.

"Oil and gas wells release chemicals linked to cancer, birth defects, and respiratory disease, and EPA should protect our communities, especially our children, from exposure to these hazards."

Groups named on the petition include Clean Air Council, Clean Air Taskforce, Downwinders at Risk, Environmental Defense Fund, Global Community Monitor, Natural Resources Defense Council, Physicians for Social Responsibility-Los Angeles, Sierra Club, and WildEarth Guardians.

read on: Arrow http://www.theecologist.org/News/news_round_up/2398228/epa_we_demand_oil_and_gas_well_pollution_limits.html

Love Always
    mudra

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 9:38 pm