tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

3 posters

Ecosystem crisis: Bees dying by the millions in Canada – cause unknown

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Ecosystem crisis: Bees dying by the millions in Canada – cause unknown Empty Ecosystem crisis: Bees dying by the millions in Canada – cause unknown

Post  Carol Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:46 am

Ecosystem crisis: Bees dying by the millions in Canada – cause unknown Dead-hives-at-Schuits-Saugeen-Honey-in-Elmwood-Canada
    Ecosystem crisis: Bees dying by the millions in Canada – cause unknown
    July 2, 2013 – ELMWOOD - Local beekeepers are finding millions of their bees dead just after corn was planted here in the last few weeks. Dave Schuit, who has a honey operation in Elmwood, lost 600 hives, a total of 37 million bees. “Once the corn started to get planted our bees died by the millions,” Schuit said. He and many others, including the European Union, are pointing the finger at a class of insecticides known as neonicotinoids, manufactured by Bayer CropScience Inc. used in planting corn and some other crops. The European Union just recently voted to ban these insecticides for two years, beginning December 1, 2013, to be able to study how it relates to the large bee kill they are experiencing there also.Local grower Nathan Carey from the Neustadt, and National Farmers Union Local 344 member, says he noticed this spring the lack of bees and bumblebees on his farm. He believes that there is a strong connection between the insecticide use and the death of pollinators. “I feel like we all have something at stake with this issue,” he said. He is organizing a public workshop and panel discussion about this problem at his farm June 22 at 10 a.m. He hopes that all interested parties can get together and talk about the reason bees, the prime pollinators of so any different plant species, are dying. At the farm of Gary Kenny, south west of Hanover, eight of the 10 hives he kept for a beekeeper out of Kincardine, died this spring just after corn was planted in neighbouring fields. What seems to be deadly to bees is that the neonicotinoid pesticides are coating corn seed and with the use of new air seeders, are blowing the pesticide dust into the air when planted. The death of millions of pollinators was looked at by American Purdue University. They found that, “Bees exhibited neurotoxic symptoms, analysis of dead bees revealed traces of thiamethoxam/clothianidin in each case. Seed treatments of field crops (primarily corn) are the only major source of these compounds. Local investigations near Guelph, led to the same conclusion. A Pest Management Regulatory Agency investigation confirmed that corn seeds treated with clothianidin or thiamethoxam “contributed to the majority of the bee mortalities” last spring.

“The air seeders are the problem,” said Ontario Federation of Agriculture director Paul Wettlaufer, who farms near Neustadt. This was after this reporter called John Gillespie, OFA Bruce County president, who told me to call Wettlaufer. Unfortunately, Wettlaufer said it was, “not a local OFA issue,” and that it was an issue for the Grain Farmers of Ontario and representative, Hennry Vanakum should be notified. Vanakum could not be rached for comment. Yet Guelph University entomologist Peter Kevan, disagreed with the EU ban. “There’s very little evidence to say that neonicotinoids, in a very general sense, in a broad scale sense, have been a major component in the demise of honeybees or any other pollinators, anywhere in the world,” said Kevan. But research is showing that honeybee disorders and high colony losses have become a global phenomena. An international team of scientists led by Holland’s Utrecht University concluded that, ”Large scale prophylaxic use in agriculture, their high persistence in soil and water, and their uptake by plants and translocation to flowers, neonicotinoids put pollinator services at risk.” This research and others rsulted in the Eurpean Union ban. The United Church is also concerned about the death of so many pollinators and has prepared a “Take Action” paper it’s sending out to all its members. The church is basing its action on local research. The Take Action paper states among other things, “Scientific information gathered suggests that the planting of corn seeds treated with neonicotinoids contributed to the majority of the bee mortalities that occurred in corn growing regions of Ontario and Quebec in Spring 2012.” Meanwhile Schuit is replacing his queen bees every few months now instead of years, as they are dying so frequently. “OMAFRA tells me to have faith. Well, I think it’s criminal what is happening, and it’s hard to have faith if it doesn’t look like they are going to do anything anyway,” Schuit says. –The Post

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    Micjer
    Micjer

Ecosystem crisis: Bees dying by the millions in Canada – cause unknown Empty Re: Ecosystem crisis: Bees dying by the millions in Canada – cause unknown

Post  Micjer Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:44 am

This is very disturbing. This hits very close to home, literally.

I live very close to where this story origionated. But it is widespread across N America. I also grow corn on my farm, so I have first hand knowledge of this topic.

Here are the major problems.

1) It is virtually impossible to purchase seed corn without this chemical on it. At least the newer, high yielding varieties. There is different rates being put on seed depending if you want to control rootworm or not. (Second year corn is susceptible to rootworm which causes stalks to goose neck and fall over)

2) Chemical companies own the seed companies so they want to sell their chemicals. Dupont for example owns Pioneer. Of course the chemical companies control the the FDA so they will not be changing the rules any time soon.

3) The airseeding equipment used in planting seems to be the main problem in the insecticide becoming airbourne and killing the bees. Most big farmers are using this type of planter, so as these corporate farms get bigger, it is worsening the problem. (Smaller farmers, like myself, use the old style planter that does not use air.)

Ecosystem crisis: Bees dying by the millions in Canada – cause unknown Cornpl10

4) There appears to be a denial by many farmers and seed salesman that this is truly a problem. I can guarantee that if bees were killing the corn crop, that there would be action in a hurry.

5) There is close to 100 million acres of corn planted in the US and Canada this year. The poor bees have a lot of area to avoid.

Jenetta
    Jenetta

Ecosystem crisis: Bees dying by the millions in Canada – cause unknown Empty Re: Ecosystem Crisis - Bees Dying By The Millions In Canada - Cause Unknown

Post  Jenetta Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:55 pm

What I can't figure out is whether GREENPEACE is for or against bees.  View the anti-propaganda film here which Trancoso posted titled Death To All Bees:

http://www.themistsofavalon.net/t4251p510-watch-this

It appears there is a petition benefit of Greenpeace circulating in the Netherlands/Germany on the same video so now I'm confused totally.   In the meantime please watch this video:

Who Killed The Honey Bee? (BBC Documentary)

So sad what is happening....

Bees are dying in their millions. It is an ecological crisis that threatens to bring global agriculture to a standstill. Introduced by Martha Kearney, this documentary explores the reasons behind the decline of bee colonies across the globe, investigating what might be at the root of this devastation.

Honey bees are the number one insect pollinator on the planet, responsible for the production of over 90 crops. Apples, berries, cucumbers, nuts, cabbages and even cotton will struggle to be produced if bee colonies continue to decline at the current rate. Empty hives have been reported from as far afield as Taipei and Tennessee. In England, the matter has caused beekeepers to march on Parliament to call on the government to fund research into what they say is potentially a bigger threat to humanity than the current financial crisis.

Investigating the problem from a global perspective, the programme makers travel from the farm belt of California to the flatlands of East Anglia to the outback of Australia. They talk to the beekeepers whose livelihoods are threatened by colony collapse disorder, the scientists entrusted with solving the problem, and the Australian beekeepers who are making a fortune replacing the planet's dying bees. They also look at some of the possible reasons for the declining numbers - is it down to a bee plague, pesticides, malnutrition? Or is the answer something even more frightening?

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:05 pm