tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

+6
Brook
orthodoxymoron
Jenetta
LeeEllisMusic
lawlessline
Carol
10 posters

IS THIS THE OCTOBER SURPRISE? 2012 East Coast Franken Super Storm Sandy AFTERMATH

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

IS THIS THE OCTOBER SURPRISE?  2012 East Coast Franken Super Storm Sandy AFTERMATH - Page 4 Empty Re: IS THIS THE OCTOBER SURPRISE? 2012 East Coast Franken Super Storm Sandy AFTERMATH

Post  Carol Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:26 pm

IS THIS THE OCTOBER SURPRISE?  2012 East Coast Franken Super Storm Sandy AFTERMATH - Page 4 Staten-island-flooding
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/11/02/sons-of-anarchy-irene-staten-island/
    'Sons of Anarchy' star: Storm aftermath 'a lot worse than how it's being portrayed by media'
    EW spoke to Sons of Anarchy – and Staten Island native — Theo Rossi (Juice Ortiz), who was home visiting family and friends when Sandy hit. He’s remained there ever since and gave us this first-hand account of the devastation. - “It’s so bad here, a lot worse than how its being portrayed by the media. They are finding bodies left and right, elderly people who don’t even watch the news or who knew the storm was coming. I was just with one of my best friends from high school and college, and his house is completely gone. One story I heard was about this one guy who evacuated his house during Hurricane Irene but then it got looted. So when they told him to evacuate for Sandy, he said, ‘I’m not leaving.’ Now they can’t find him, his 13-year-old daughter is dead, and his wife is in critical condition at the hospital. These are the stories. My stepfather and my mother, I love them to death. But when they heard the storm was coming, they said, ‘It’s not going to be that bad. Irene didn’t do anything.’ They had two flashlights and a couple of scented candles. Little did they know. It’s just not worth it. If you’re told to evacuate, you need to get out.

The one weird thing is how there is no power. The other weird thing is how there’s no gas. To get gas requires a three-and-a-half hour wait. It’s like this odd, post-apocalyptic kind of thing. Most trees are down. Power lines are down. It’s like a movie, or like The Walking Dead. You can’t believe it. Especially when you grow up here. I moved to Los Angeles in 1999, but this has always been my home. There’s the place I kissed a girl, that’s the place I played handball. I know this island in and out. To see it completely destroyed is bizarre.

I’ve been trying to hit every shelter on Staten Island to do what I can, just to make people smile. A lot of people know me and know I’m from here. My flight has been changed six times now. Finally, I got a flight for Sunday. Then, the city decides they are going ahead with the New York City Marathon. The bridges will be closed, so I can’t get to the airport. How are they doing a marathon when most people don’t have power? On top of it, the hotels in Manhattan have been nice enough to put up people who have no homes. They are charging them $200 as opposed to $700 a night. But now they are throwing these people out because they’ve got people from all over the world coming to run the marathon. They are throwing out the survivors! So I call Jet Blue and say I can’t fly Sunday because I can’t get from Staten Island to JFK Airport. And they said ‘Okay Theo.’ They know me know because I’ve been calling them every 15 minutes. They say, ‘Theo, we can get you on a flight Friday.’ I say book it! I call up the car service, and they say, ‘We can’t pick you up, we have no gas.’ All my friends on Staten Island say, ‘How are we going to get you there? We have no gas.’ And the people who do have gas, don’t want to waste it going to JFK. So I’ve got to call and change my flight again. Now I’m leaving Monday. Everybody says if we don’t have gas in our cars by Monday, if the roads aren’t clear by Monday, that’s it … we’re throwing in the towel.

I’m really glad I’m here to help and do anything, but I’ve never seen anything like this. I’m just glad I’m here with my family. A shout out and thank you to all the amazing city workers who have been working around the clock. Police, fire, sanitation. You all are the true fabric of this city.”

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

IS THIS THE OCTOBER SURPRISE?  2012 East Coast Franken Super Storm Sandy AFTERMATH - Page 4 Empty Re: IS THIS THE OCTOBER SURPRISE? 2012 East Coast Franken Super Storm Sandy AFTERMATH

Post  Carol Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:41 pm

NBC's Brian Williams conducted a devastating exposé on the latest developments of the ravaged areas in Sandy's path. "There's no Red Cross," on resident exclaimed. Multiple residents vented their frustrations at the camera "Where is FEMA?" "Who do we go to for help?" "We need help!" NBC reported on the growing outrage by those hit hardest by the superstorm, cut off from access to necessities they are dependent on government aid to provide for their basic needs until the city has removed enough of the damage for residents to be able to leave. "They are still pulling out bodies," one resident said. Many residents who claimed they had lost everything have said that they haven't received any help from FEMA or the Red Cross.

NY Daily News: Staten Island has been the scene of some of the most heartbreaking storm-related devastation, especially on the South Shore where numerous trapped residents had to be rescued. Hundreds of homes — from multimillion-dollar mansions to modest bungalows — have been damaged and dozens of streets are impassable due to downed trees and buckled roads.

As such, federal and local officials heard an earful from residents Thursday.

“Please don’t leave us,” a weeping Donna Solli pleaded to Sen. Chuck Schumer in front of her damaged Neptune St. home. “I live alone down here.”

NRC: Spent fuel pool cooling lost at NJ’s Oyster Creek nuclear plant during Hurricane Sandy
    http://enenews.com/nrc-spent-fuel-pool-cooling-lost-njs-oyster-creek-nuclear-plant-during-hurricane-sandy
    On October 29, 2012, Oyster Creek declared a Notice of Unusual Event followed by an Alert due to high water levels in the intake structure. Elevated intake structure water levels are of concern as excessive levels can flood certain plant components and render normal cooling systems inoperable. No safety systems were adversely affected by the high intake level. The site also experienced a loss of offsite power. Both emergency diesel generators started as designed and supplied power to the emergency electrical busses. Shutdown cooling and spent fuel pool cooling were temporarily lost but subsequently restored, after the busses were reenergized. At 9:59 a.m. EDT on October 30, the licensee restored one line of off-site power via a start-up transformer. Oyster Creek terminated the Alert at 3:52 a.m. EDT on October 31 when water level dropped below 4.5 ft and off-site power was fully restored.

Last edited by Carol on Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

LeeEllisMusic
    LeeEllisMusic

Post  LeeEllisMusic Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:45 pm

Thank You for the last 2 posts Carol ~ I have been away from the news today... this is devastating...
    I fear now we see the aftermath and it may be worse than anyone imagined. People are getting cold and desperate...

Bless Everyone ~ ~ ~

Mahalo,
    Lee
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:57 pm

You're welcome Lee. This is what I was worried about - the aftermath reminds me a lot of what happened with Katrina. Where is FEMA? They've done drills in preparation and when it happens I wonder what is going on. Having worked in Public Health for a number of years the big concerns are clean water, a way to safely dispose of human waste (why aren't those people in apartments using trash bins lined in plastic for defecation - urine can safely go down a bath or shower drain), heating and a means to survive with the power off in freezing temperatures. A nor-easter is expected next week and if these folks don't get their power restored or have fireplaces with stored usuable wood - or fuel, they're in real trouble. Many victims only have the clothes on their backs and are in shock. This is where vehicals that can get around with loud speakers can announce what is going on. The biggest problem is lack of communication when there is no power. After any disaster what folks what most is to know their family and friends are safe and next how to get the basics (food, clothing and shelter) covered.

Unfortunately, most folks (because of shock and feeling overwhelmed) don't think these things through after a disaster and subsequently make living conditions worse for themselves.

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:12 pm

IS THIS THE OCTOBER SURPRISE?  2012 East Coast Franken Super Storm Sandy AFTERMATH - Page 4 1858144_G
    Half of a house remains after Hurricane Sandy. (Nov. 2, 2012)
    Hurricane Sandy power outage update
    Read more: http://www.myfoxny.com/story/19941125/power-outage-potentials#ixzz2B76rNxnr
    Con Edison said on Thursday it expects to have service restored to lower and mid-Manhattan by Saturday. Customers served by underground equipment in Brooklyn can also expect power by Saturday. Remaining customers could be in the dark until Nov. 11. More than two million utility customers were in the dark in New Jersey at the height of the outage. By Friday, more than 1.1 million customers had their service restored.

In Connecticut, power was out to as many as 625,000 utility customers.

The following number of outages were reported Friday (note that each outage/customer can represent many people):

Con Edison -- 570,000 (All customers in Manhattan should have full power by Saturday)

LIPA -- 525,979

NYSEG -- 68,199 (most expected to be restored by midnight Sunday)

Orange and Rockland Utilities -- 139,463

Central Hudson Gas & Electric -- 6,153

RG&E -- 1,747

PSE&G -- 692,000 (Estimates 7-10 days for 100%)

JCP&L -- 703,455 (Most in Monmouth and Ocean Counties. Estimates Wednesday for 100%)

Atlantic City Electric -- 47,656

CL&P & United Illuminating -- 151,685 (Estimates Monday or Tuesday for 95%)

Read more: http://www.myfoxny.com/story/19941125/power-outage-potentials#ixzz2B779f8uD

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:59 pm

Ever since Hurricane Sandy hit the Northeast, however, Hoboken has looked more like a disaster zone. The storm is over, and the water has receded. But glass from blown-out windows and fallen branches clutter the sidewalks, while brown sludge (sewage mixed with puddles of rain) coats the ground.

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) workers and National Guard members are busy pitching in for the relief and repair efforts, and local officials are giving press conferences and surveying damage. Mark Frantz, FEMA agent, "We’re here to support the people of Hoboken. Our first mission is to save lives, as President Obama said. A house or a car can be replaced – not a human life. We’re going to stay here until the situation is normal and the power is back."

Deborah Cohen, local homeowner whose garage and ground floor were flooded, "When the storm hit, it looked like rushing rapids outside. The water was chest-level. Now, three days later, there’s raw sewage and oil in the street. It’s a real health hazard. I saw people walking barefoot. A lot of people have left town, because they don’t have heat or electricity. We’ve been flooded before, but this is by far the worst I’ve ever seen. It’s going to be pricey to repair."

Jojo Paloma, cook at Legal Beans, local coffee shop that was destroyed in storm. "The windows of the restaurant were completely destroyed by the water. It was up to the chest and smashed right through the windows. This is the first day we’ve been able to come to start cleaning up. I’ve worked here for 6 years. The boss is very depressed. We’re still waiting for FEMA to come. In the meantime, people from the neighbourhood have been helping us clean up. I have to go down to the basement to clean. I assume there will be rats and roaches soon.

Video at link above.

mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:58 am

ABC News reports have confirmed that parts of New Jersey, including Seaside Heights, are now under martial law due to the destruction and chaos caused by Hurricane Sandy.

Sheilaaliens Calls NJ Sheriff Department and Confirms Martial Law IS in Effect - Nov. 2, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZZJWs0Kmto

abc news confirms east coast under martial law

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBoxJdoo45U

Love Always
    mudra
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:46 pm

IS THIS THE OCTOBER SURPRISE?  2012 East Coast Franken Super Storm Sandy AFTERMATH - Page 4 SBX-Steering-Hurricane-Sandy
    Obama’s October Surprise – Creating and Steering Hurricane Sandy
    http://presscore.ca/2011/?p=7507
    Tennessee state legislature, Kelly Keisling, mass emailed constituents in July warning them that Barack Obama is planning to stage a false flag event in an effort to stop the 2012 election from happening. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/31/kelly-keisling-tennessee-obama-rumor_n_1725053.html Kelly Keisling email stated that Obama and the Department of Homeland Security are planning a series of events that could lead to the imposition of “martial law” and delay the election. A catastrophic event rivaling Hurricane Katrina could be the false flag event to postpone the upcoming election.

The US government is using the HAARP Sea-Based X-Band Radar (SBX) platform to intensify and steer the man made Hurricane Sandy. Hurricane Sandy is Obama’s October surprise – create and steer a hurricane and cause mass destruction. The US Air Force / Navy SBX is steering Hurricane Sandy into New York City. This isn’t the first time the US government steered a hurricane into a major US city. In 2005 they (George W Bush and Dick Cheney) successfully steered Hurricane Katrina into New Orleans. In 2010 NASA successfully intensified Tropical Depression Earl into a Category 4 Hurricane and steered (controlled its path) Hurricane Earl for 11 days in Project GRIP (Genesis and Rapid Intensification Processes).

On August 11, 2010 NASA announced that it was less than 2 weeks away from initiating Project GRIP (Genesis and Rapid Intensification Processes) – their quest for the holy grail of hurricane research. Project GRIP discovered the exact conditions required to kickstart a tropical depression into a hurricane. Scientists already knew how hurricanes develop and how to steer them but NASA wanted to perfect the processes that intensifies depressions to form into very intense, spinning storms of mass destruction. NASA was creating a weather modification weapon of mass destruction.

“Hurricane formation and intensification is really the ‘holy grail’ of this field,” said Ed Zipser, an atmospheric scientist at the University of Utah and one of three program scientists helping to lead the Genesis and Rapid Intensification Processes (GRIP)Project.

“We want to see storms that become hurricanes, and we want to see some that don’t become hurricanes, so we can compare the data. The same is true for hurricane intensification.” ~ GRIP Project Manager Marilyn Vasques

NASA used various weather modifying technology to develop, intensify and steer a hurricane. The available technology included a powerful microwave radiometer and a “radar” and a NASA-designed and built lidar (laser radar). The laser radar were mounted on a Global Hawks and were used to heat the top of a hurricane – to weaken a hurricane and steer them. The “radar” that NASA used was the Sea-Based X-Band Radar - a floating, self-propelled, military controlled and operated mobile radar station capable of operating in high winds and heavy seas. The Sea-Based X-Band Radar Platform (SBX) is part of the U.S. Defense Department

Ballistic Missile Defense System.
    The Sea Based X-Band Radar is the world’s largest floating phased array X-band radar. It is operated by the US Department of Defense (Missile Defense Agency) and its movement and location is classified. In 2005 it was engaged in a 52-day deployment in the Gulf where it completed more than 100 major test activities. The 52-day deployment started in late August and ended on Oct. 14, 2005. Air Force Lt. Gen. Henry “Trey” Obering, director of the MDA, said it had demonstrated the ability to achieve most of its major operational and sustainment capabilities. SBX was in the Gulf at the same time as Hurricane Katrina formed on August 23, 2005. On Saturday, August 27, 2005 the storm reached Category 3 intensity on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale, becoming the third major hurricane of the season. An eyewall replacement cycle disrupted the intensification, but caused the storm to nearly double in size. Katrina again rapidly intensified, attaining Category 5 status on the morning of August 28 and reached its peak strength at 1:00 p.m. CDT that day, with maximum sustained winds of 175 mph (280 km/h) and a minimum central pressure of 902 mbar.

The Department of Homeland Security’s Science and Technology Directorate, which direct agencies from the Federal Emergency Management Agency to Immigration and Customs Enforcement, expressed major interest in the science of hurricane modification. “It sounds kind of crazy and science fiction-ish, but it’s really the direction we need to go in,” Chris Doyle, head of DHS’s science and technology research division, told a conference of the American Meteorological Society in May of 2008.

Hurricane researcher Joseph Golden, a veteran of Project Stormfury, the federal government’s last attempt at militarized weather modification in the 1960s, organized a meeting of scientists at an interdepartmental hurricane conference to discuss weather modification. They discussed how hurricane steering could be used as a geopolitical tool. The major question of the conference was “Where would scientists direct a storm”? Toward a less populated area or into major metropolitan areas? Steering a hurricane into small communities could wipe them out financially. Steering a hurricane into a farming community could wipe out crops. Steering a hurricane into a major city could cripple it for days, weeks or even years (Hurricane Katrina) and result in significant loss of life. Like Project Stormfury they were discussing how steering hurricanes could be used a geopolitical weapon.

All 3 of the US HAARP Weather Modification systems – the land based system in Alaska, the Sea Based SBX and the mini shuttle X-37B were all built for use as military weather modifying weapons of mass destruction – in direct violation of the Convention on the Prohibition of Military or Any Other Hostile Use of Environmental Modification Techniques

read more at http://presscore.ca/2011/?p=7507

Floyd
    Floyd

Post  Floyd Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:58 pm

My own view on this is that Obama is directly responsible for this atrocious meteorological event.

Additionally he is a cloned lizard from Niburu who wants to eat your dog and your grandmother.

Thank God we have Twit Romney to reverse all adverse weather that effects the good ol US of A and our cousins that bask in Florida like sunshine for eternity so help me god

God Bless America.
    Rolling Eyes

For more...visit worldnetdaily
    Floyd
    Floyd

Post  Floyd Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:04 pm

Carol wrote:Or is the precursor storm that leaves parts of DC underwater that time traveler Andrew Bassiago experience in the future (2013) right after the New Year?

No

Do you want to have a cash bet on that?

Last edited by Floyd on Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:18 pm

Insanely Happy I had wondered where some folks come up with this stuff from. Now I know Floyd. You've been hiring yourself out as a coach.

It really doesn't matter who gets elected as much as it matters how much the nation is divided. Now that is what I find scary.

And jusf for fun you may wish to bone up on todays blog: http://projectcamelotportal.com/kerrys-blog/1404-black-projects-follow-the-money

BLACK PROJECTS : FOLLOW THE MONEY
    The Truth Behind the Matrix
    The Secret Space Program
    A Word About the History of ET Technology Acquisition
    The Why Behind Black Projects
    AGENDA behind the Black Projects
    The Black Projects in Short
    Hiding in Plain Sight – A Note on Secrecy
    The Controllers and the Future of Earth
    Project Talent – Your Children are at Risk

Now the real question in my mind is was Sandy an outcropping of a Black Project and if so to what end? It's also interesting to note just how much disinformation is out there that I pretty much don't believe anyone anymore.

Cheers Sabina

Floyd
    Floyd

Post  Floyd Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:22 pm

Come rain or shine.

keep smiling.
    sunny
    Floyd
    Floyd

Post  Floyd Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:34 pm

Carol wrote:

It really doesn't matter who gets elected as much as it matters how much the nation is divided. Now that is what I find scary.

One of the flaws of America is how its citizens are poorly informed on world affairs.

Perhaps in the future, the USA will see its power diminished and it will be a shock to its ill informed citizens when that happens. This may happen in our lifetime.

The British lost their geographical empire. The Americans never had one apart from their economical empire which will be eroded by China India and Brazil amongst others.

Conspiracy theories are now invalid as imperialists, expansionists and zionists will begin to lose control to other emerging powers.

And its got XXXX all to do with aliens or dimensions.
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:11 pm

It would be dark soon at the Coney Island Houses, the fourth night without power, elevators and water. Another night of trips up and down pitch-black staircases, lighted by shaky flashlights and candles. Another night of retreating from the dark. On the second floor of Building 4, an administrative assistant named Santiago, 43, who was sharing her apartment with five relatives, ran through a mental checklist. Turn the oven on for heat. Finish errands, like fetching water for the toilet, before the light fades. “We don’t dare throw out garbage at night,” she said. “We make sure everything’s done.”

Elsewhere in the building, Sandra Leon, 35, a mother of two, kept an eye on her door fearing another attempted break-in. Victor Alvarez, 60, waited for any word of his wife, Lucet, who suffers from schizophrenia and had disappeared into the wreckage-strewed neighborhood. And Marilyn Smalls, 48, sipped a room-temperature Corona that she had liberated from a gas-station trash bin the day before, along with sodas and bags of beef jerky — which drew neighbors knocking, as word of the haul got out.

Perhaps more so than in any other place in the city, the loss of power for people living in public housing projects forced a return to a primal existence. Opened fire hydrants became community wells. Sleep-and-wake cycles were timed to sunsets and sunrises. People huddled for warmth around lighted gas stoves as if they were roaring fires. Darkness became menacing, a thing to be feared. Dwindling dollars heightened the pain of throwing out food rotting inside powerless refrigerators, and sharpened the question of where the next meal would come from. Some had not left their apartments since the storm swept in.

Thousands of public housing residents in New York City defied evacuation orders because they underestimated the ferocity of Hurricane Sandy; now they make up a city within a city, marked by acute need. Any bathtubs filled with water on Monday are empty. Unflushed toilets stink. Elderly people with creaky joints are marooned on upper floors. Batteries are running out. An estimated 400,000 New Yorkers live in public housing and many of their institutional brown brick buildings hug the waterfront.

As light drained from the skies above the Red Hook Houses in Brooklyn on Thursday, Sharlyn Marin, 18, huffed her way up 140 steps to visit her godmother, Judith Rodriguez, on the 10th floor. Blind and in a wheelchair, Ms. Rodriguez, 62, relied on Ms. Marin as her sole conduit to the outside world.

Three floors up, Carmen Jimenez, 48, cowered in the descending darkness. She had not left her apartment since the storm arrived and depended on her neighbor, Jacqueline Fuentes, 47, for food and water. Ms. Fuentes, a bus driver for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, had also lighted candles in the hallway, so her neighbors could see.

On the Lower East Side, at the Baruch Houses, neighbors helped an older woman down flights of stairs because she was feeling ill. An ambulance emergency worker gave the woman oxygen and the neighbors helped her back up to her apartment.

“There’s a sense of community,” said Darryl MacCullum, 24, who lives at the Jacob Riis Houses in the East Village, where the tidal surge had, for a time, ringed the buildings like moats. “Neighbors I usually don’t talk to, I talk to now.”

The residents cooked for each other, eager to not waste food that was thawing fast.

Open hydrants in Coney Island and at East Sixth Street and Avenue D became lifelines, drawing residents on foot and skateboards to fill buckets and bottles, which were then hauled up darkened stairways for use as drinking water, for baths, and for flushing festering toilets. Some vented their anger despite the presence of volunteers who showed up with ice, water and food. “We’ve been left for dead here,” said Charles Richie, 50, who has lived in Red Hook houses for half his life. “We’re living day by day.”

Police cars have been patrolling the housing projects but officers have not been getting out of their cars, one of his friends said. “They are as scared as us,” he said.

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:24 pm

'It's like the Wild West': Lawlessness and fear take over the outer boroughs as millions in misery endure a sixth day without power
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2227307/Hurricane-Sandy-Lawlessness-outer-boroughs-New-York-enter-sixth-day-power.html#ixzz2BDkH4zOp

magamud
    magamud

Post  magamud Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:49 am

And its got XXXX all to do with aliens or dimensions.
    USA went all in with its poker, and what you think as a detriment of economic power is reason for the US to use its military power.

US will probably be Huxleys Eurasia....

For more...visit worldnetdaily
    Why Floyd I did not know you speak Jabberwocky...
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:14 am

Random Acts Of Kindness After Hurricane Sandy (SLIDESHOW)
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/02/hurricane-sandy-random-ac_n_2061005.html
    No power or water, fuel shortages and limited transportation has made life pretty darn difficult for the East Coast. But it's usually in times of need that the best of mankind emerges. And so, we've been seeing wonderful examples of human kindness and generosity over the last few days -- from free pizza in the beleaguered East Village to a little girl setting up a charging station in Hoboken.

Check out the images at the link above to have a little bit of your faith in humanity restored.

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:57 pm

New York faces 'massive housing problem' after Sandy, governor says
    VIDEO: http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/04/us/tropical-weather-sandy/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
    (CNN) -- Tens of thousands of New Yorkers left without heat after Superstorm Sandy hit may need to leave their homes as temperatures plummet, but it's not clear where they'll go. Between 30,000 and 40,000 people could need housing in New York City alone, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Sunday. Officials are working on coming up with a solution, he said, but they haven't yet. "I don't know that anyone has ever taken this many people and found housing for them overnight," he said.
    New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo described it as a "massive housing problem." "People are in homes that are uninhabitable," Cuomo told reporters. "It's going to become increasingly clear that they're uninhabitable when the temperature drops and the heat doesn't come on." For many, keeping warm isn't simply a matter of turning on the heat, after Superstorm Sandy knocked out gas lines and electricity. Statewide in New York, 730,000 people had no power for a fifth straight day Sunday, Cuomo said.

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:46 pm

IS THIS THE OCTOBER SURPRISE?  2012 East Coast Franken Super Storm Sandy AFTERMATH - Page 4 1117405
    Death toll in U.S. rises to 113 from Hurricane Sandy: 2.7 million, across 15 states, still without power
    November 4, 2012 – NEW YORK – Life was returning to normal in parts of New York and New Jersey, five days after Hurricane Sandy hit, but other areas were dark and isolated, authorities said. About 2.7 million customers in 15 states and the District of Columbia were without power Saturday, with at least some facing perhaps another week before it is restored, CNN reported. The U.S. death toll from Hurricane Sandy rose Saturday, reaching 113, the Los Angeles Times reported, up from 97 Friday. The newspaper said 48 of the deaths were in New York, followed by New Jersey with 24, Pennsylvania 14, Maryland 11, West Virginia seven and Connecticut four, North Carolina two, Virginia two and New Hampshire one. Residents of many beach towns on the South Shore of Long Island were waiting for power to be restored, and even for some sign someone was in charge, The New York Times reported. Vikki Quinn’s house in Long Beach was flooded and her possessions were piled in the yard. “I just keep waiting for someone with a megaphone and a car to just tell us what to do,” she told the Times. “I’m lost.” President Barack Obama convened a meeting of top emergency officials in Washington, with Govs. Chris Christie of New Jersey, Andrew Cuomo of New York and Dannel Malloy of Connecticut joining by telephone. White House deputy press secretary Josh Earnest told reporters members of the Cabinet reported on their meetings with local officials, first responders and citizens, and the president spoke individually during the meeting with the governors and local officials, asking whether there are “additional federal resources that could be brought to bear to meet some of the needs in their communities.” Earnest said the president also got a briefing from the National Weather Service on a storm forecast to reach the U.S. Northeast Wednesday. Forecasters said the system could come with high winds, substantial rainfall and perhaps cooler temperatures. Lights were back on Saturday in most of Manhattan. Subway trains began running between Manhattan and the Long Island boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens for the first time since the storm flooded the tunnels under the East River, the Times said. Cuomo said about 60 percent of those in New York who lost power had it back by Saturday. On Long Island, however, more than half of the 1.2 million homes and businesses affected by the storm were still in the dark. “We are getting through it,” Cuomo said at a news briefing. “The worst is behind us.” Gas remained in short supply. Cuomo said 8 million gallons had been delivered, with 28 million more expected from commercial sources and 12 million from the Defense Department. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano and other top officials were to visit some of the worst-hit areas. New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg Friday announced the opening of the first of several disaster assistance service centers that will provide information about applying for emergency social and economic benefits. All of the centers will be operated by the city’s Human Resources Administration in cooperation with the Federal Emergency Management Agency and will be open seven days a week. As of Friday afternoon, more than 98,000 people in New Jersey, New York and Connecticut had registered for federal assistance and more than $40 million in aid has been approved, a statement by the Federal Emergency Management Agency said. New York City inspectors are posting color-coded placards on buildings and homes to warn people not to enter some buildings. –Equities

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:17 pm

Queens residents arm themselves in the post-storm blackout from looters
    Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/queens/queens-residents-arm-looters-article-1.1196031#ixzz2BJIEd7huIS THIS THE OCTOBER SURPRISE?  2012 East Coast Franken Super Storm Sandy AFTERMATH - Page 4 Bow
    Keone Singlehurst, 42, who lives in a bungalow on Beach 87th Street in the Rockaways, says he wouldn't hesitate to use a bow on a looter.
    “We booby-trapped our door and keep a baseball bat beside our bed,” said Danielle Harris, 34, rummaging through donated supplies as children rode scooters along half-block chunk of the boardwalk that had marooned into the middle of Beach 91st St. “We heard gunshots for three nights in a row,” said Harris, who believed they came from the nearby housing projects.Carly Ruggieri, 27, who lives in water-damaged house on the block, said she barricades her door with a bed frame. “There have been people in power department uniforms knocking on doors and asking if they’re okay, but at midnight.” "After sunset everyone locks their doors,” said Meyer, as he loaded up a solar panel from a factory in the Brooklyn Navy Yard to bring to local residents. "They're trying to find whatever weapons they can find. Some people are even using bows and arrows."

IS THIS THE OCTOBER SURPRISE?  2012 East Coast Franken Super Storm Sandy AFTERMATH - Page 4 Breezy-point-weeping
    A woman finds her Breezy Point neighborhood laid to waste on Wednesday.
    “We’re just trying to clean everything so we can get supplies to people who need them,” said Bradach Walsh, 39, who is a city firefighter who founded the Surf Club. “All our friends’ houses and cars are destroyed.” “We having nothing,” said Ann Manning, at an Edgemere playground where State Sen. Malcolm Smith had arranged to distribute thousands of lunch boxes from a company that supplies airports.

“We have nothing. They’re hungry,” said Manning
    Grocery stores on the Peninsula are closed and some have been looted.

“We can’t exist,” said Manning. “We can’t buy milk. We can’t buy cereal. We can’t buy nothing.”

It’s cold in the house, no lights on,” he said. “Everything’s closed because people were stealing from stores. There’s no food. People are cooking on top of garbage cans."

The MTA took all trains off the Rockaway peninsula prior to the storm to prevent damage to the equipment. The MTA now can't even run the Rockaway shuttle on the peninsula because there are no trains, one official said. There is also no shuttle bus service."You have half a million people disconnected from the city," said Meyer.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/queens/queens-residents-arm-looters-article-1.1196031#ixzz2BJJwx5Oz

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:30 am

November 2, 2012 – NEW YORK - The residents of Staten Island are pleading for help from elected officials, begging for gasoline, food, and clothing three days after Sandy slammed the New York City borough. “We’re going to die! We’re going to freeze! We got 90-year-old people!” Donna Solli told visiting officials. “You don’t understand. You gotta get your trucks down here on the corner now. It’s been three days!” Staten Island was one of the hardest-hit communities in New York City. More than 80,000 residents are still without power. Many are homeless, and at least 19 people died on Staten Island because of the storm. One of the devastated neighborhoods was overwhelmed by a violent surge of water. Residents described a super-sized wave as high as 20 feet, with water rushing into the streets like rapids. Staten Island resident Mike Abuzzio’s home is completely gone, with only his floor boards remaining. He, his wife and their two young daughters have been staying with relatives. “My youngest daughter yesterday said, ‘Daddy, I want to go,’” Abuzzio told ABC News. “I told her, ‘It’s going to be awhile, hon.’ She doesn’t understand. She’s 6.” In the rubble that was once his home, Abuzzio found one clean, intact plate of Christmas china. He said that plate will be special at Christmastime and will be used specifically for his mother’s cookies. For 48 hours after the storm, search teams were hunting for two Staten Island brothers, just 2- and 4-years-old. They were swept out of their mother’s arms when waves caused by storm surges crashed into the family’s SUV. Their small bodies were found today at the end of a dead-end street. Their parents were at the scene where the bodies were discovered. Staten Island officials sounded increasingly desperate today, asking when supplies will arrive. They blasted the Red Cross for not being there when it counted. “This is America, not a third world nation. We need food, we need clothing,” Staten Island Borough President Jim Molinaro said today. “My advice to the people of Staten Island is: Don’t donate the American Red Cross. Put their money elsewhere.” The Red Cross and the National Guard arrived in the area late Tuesday and are distributing food, water and gas – and city officials say things are much better. Molinaro urged New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Wednesday to cancel Sunday’s New York City Marathon. The race’s staging area is on Staten Island and Molinaro said it would be “crazy, asinine,” to have the race after what has happened. “My God. What we have here is terrible, a disaster,” Molinaro said Wednesday. “If they want to race, let them race with themselves. This is no time for a parade. A marathon is a parade. Now is the time to put your shoulder to the wheel. If they want to prepare for something, let them prepare for the election, not a marathon. Do you realize how many police officers you need for a marathon?” he asked. “There are people looting stores on Midland Avenue. There is looting taking place in the homes on the South Shore that were destroyed. That is where we need the police.” –ABC News

The National Weather Service’s Prediction Center issued a warning for a possible nor’easter, which may hit the Mid-Atlantic and New England regions as early as next Tuesday.

Diminished but still dangerous, the storm churned across Pennsylvania on Tuesday in an arc toward Canada, and the northeastern U.S. began its slow process of recovery. In New York, financial markets were expected to resume trading Wednesday, though big chunks of the city are without electricity and its vast network of subways remains idled by historic flooding. As dawn broke Tuesday on the storm's trail of devastation, it began exposing stories of heroism and tragedy, bad decisions and lucky breaks.

Track Sandy
    Monday - Full Moon & High Tide - Some are preparing to be without power for 30 days

IS THIS THE OCTOBER SURPRISE?  2012 East Coast Franken Super Storm Sandy AFTERMATH - Page 4 Northeast_loop

IS THIS THE OCTOBER SURPRISE?  2012 East Coast Franken Super Storm Sandy AFTERMATH - Page 4 Atl_overview
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/hurricane-tracker?hpid=z2
    2012 East Coast Franken Super Storm

mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:28 am

11/5/2012 -- Geo-engineering Frankenstorm -- Hurricane Sandy weather modification (read below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MRRKA85F_A

Love Always
    mudra
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:56 pm

IS THIS THE OCTOBER SURPRISE?  2012 East Coast Franken Super Storm Sandy AFTERMATH - Page 4 1860660_G
    Small quake rattles NJ towns in wake of Sandy
    RINGWOOD, N.J. - Some residents in northern New Jersey awoke to a small earthquake early Monday. The temblor, with a magnitude of 2.0, struck at 1:19 a.m. and was centered in Ringwood, a community that's still dealing with downed trees and power outages from Sandy.

Geophysicist Jessica Turner at the National Earthquake Information Center says some people reported hearing a loud boom. Turner says those on upper floors of a home might have felt shaking or saw objects on walls vibrate. The quake was 3 miles below ground and could also be felt in Mahwah, Wanaque, Oakland, Franklin Lakes, West Milford and Paterson. Ringwood police say there are no reports of damage.

Turner says the last earthquake in New Jersey had a 2.2 magnitude and was recorded in February 2010.

Read more: http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/20001575/small-quake-rattles-nj-towns-in-wake-of-sandy#ixzz2BNZuZzaJ

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:15 am

Total Nightmare Scenario Coming To The Northeast After The Flood Comes The Freeze:
    Tens Of Thousands Need Housing Says Cuomo, As NorEaster Approaches
    First the flood, now the freeze (and the lack of fuel and gas and heating just making it much worse). And for tens of thousands of residents of New York and New Jersey this means that as many as 40,000 will need to find alternative housing, especially ahead of Wednesday when a Nor’easter formation is expected to hit the Tristate area and bring even more freezing rain and cold to the region.
    From Reuters: “Tens of thousands of people affected by superstorm Sandy could soon need housing as cold weather descends on the state of New York, Governor Andrew Cuomo said on Sunday. Cuomo, in a televised press conference nearly a week after the storm hit the U.S. East Coast, said the fuel shortages are improving but problems will persist for “a number of days.”" Elsewhere, and also from
    Reuters: “Victims of superstorm Sandy on the U.S. East Coast struggled against the cold early on Sunday amid fuel shortages and power outages even as officials fretted about getting voters displaced by the storm to polling stations for Tuesday’s presidential election. Overnight, near-freezing temperatures gripped the U.S. northeast. At least two more victims were found in New Jersey, one dead of hypothermia, as the overall death toll from one of worst storms in U.S. history climbed to at least 112. Fuel supplies continued to rumble toward disaster zones and electricity was slowly returning to darkened neighborhoods after a storm that hit the coast last Monday. New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said it would be days before power is fully restored and fuel shortages end.”

All of this will be exacerbated as a Nor’easter moves along the Eastern Seaboard and is expected to hit New Jersey and New York in several days:

A “significant” nor’easter is likely to hit Sandy-battered areas of the Northeast by Thursday, the National Weather Service said in an update Sunday.

FEMA and Red Cross officials have ordered more resources ahead of the storm, while New York City is dealing with a shortage of fuel oil and steam to heat buildings as temperatures began dipping into the 20s and power remained out for hundreds of thousands.

At the very least, the service’s prediction center stated, there is “a very real possibility of heavy rain and strong winds along the coast from Virginia to Maine.”

Snow is likely in the interior and some models “do bring some snow all the way to the coast as far south as Virginia,” it warned.

[center]

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:44 am

The tax laws allow taxpayers who itemize their deductions to get a tax break for losses they suffer from natural disasters. However, the way that the IRS defines a loss is different from what you might expect. Rather than looking at repair costs, the IRS defines a casualty loss as the amount by which the fair market value of your property decreased as a result of the storm. Although IRS Publication 547 allows you to use repairs as a measure of the decrease in fair market value, you have to take into account any potential increase in value that results from work you have done on your home.

Once you've determined the amount of your loss, you can estimate your eventual deduction. For a home, you have to subtract $100 from your losses and then further reduce your deduction by 10% of your adjusted gross income on your tax return before listing the final amount as an itemized deduction. For business property, these limitations don't apply; you can deduct the full amount against your business income.

You Don't Have to Wait

By now, you might wonder if you'll have to wait until April to get any tax relief. The answer is no, because the areas hit by Sandy got a presidential declaration as disaster areas. As a result, you can go back and amend your 2011 tax return to deduct your casualty loss in order to get an immediate refund. read more at link above...

Superstorm Sandy left millions in the dark, and on the one-week anniversary of the storm's devastating arrival, many remain without power. Some businesses and services, however, face more complicated considerations than simply darkened rooms, spoiled food and dead cellphones.

LiveScience looked into the ramifications for a number of them. Here is what happens when the power goes out at:

1. A Funeral Home
    2. A Crematory
    3. Gas Stations
    4. The Post Office
    5. A Wastewater Treatment Plant

In New Jersey, The Bergen Record reported on Thursday (Nov. 1), that a New Jersey wastewater treatment plant was pumping millions of gallons of untreated wastewater into the Newark Bay, because the plant had insufficient power to pump out tunnels inundated during the storm. Gas-powered generators at the plant were providing just enough power to continue pushing the wastewater out of the system, according to the report.

10 Businesses That Benefit From a Hurricane
    http://www.businessnewsdaily.com/1392-businesses-benefit-hurricanes.html
    Roofing, building and construction materials suppliers
    Tree limb removal
    Water damage restoration
    Hotels
    Grocery stores
    Gas stations
    Insurance
    Auto body repair
    Waste management services