tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

Google Internet glasses on the way

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Google Internet glasses on the way Empty Google Internet glasses on the way

Post  Carol Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:27 pm

Google Internet glasses on the way Googleglasses
    Google Internet glasses on the way
    Google glasses that overlay the Internet on daily lives should hit the market within two years -- technology the tech giant hopes will someday make fumbling with smartphones obsolete. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/google-internet-glasses-way-231658616.html

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Google is making prototypes of its futuristic, Internet-connected glasses available for people to test out. The company is selling the device, known as Project Glass, for $1,500 to people attending its annual conference in San Francisco for computer programmers. It will ship early next year and won't be available for sale outside the three-day conference, Google I/O, which started Wednesday. With the glasses, directions to your destination or a text message from a friend can appear literally before your eyes. You can converse with friends in a video chat, take a photo or even buy a few things online as you walk around. Google had two broad goals in mind: communications through images and quick access to information. The device has a camera to capture fleeting moments and allow others to see the world through your eyes.

Personal note: On one hand this reminds me of technology from Dr. Who and is quite exciting and on the other hand are the dangers inherent when someone has something like this. My primary concern is one of health. First, how much radiation is generated similar to what a cell phone generates where studies indicate alteration in blood, subsequent damage to DNA and brain tumors. So from a physiological viewpoint: Is it safe.

Next is the distraction factor and those who are in jobs or on the road driving. Will this be just as dangerous as cell phones can be when the drive is distracted by data streaming across the glasses.

Then there is the factor of it being utilized for the purpose of mind-controll, which IMPO, can be just as dangerous.

And of course let's not forget the perverts who would use the camera recording feature (like some current cell phone users) to recored their sexual exploits or offensive behavior towards others.

I would like to add another perspective as well. I've watched how TV has literally taken over the lives and mind-set of millions to where the unacceptable, the perverted, violence and the vulgar is now consider normal. When did this happen? Why is it that corruption is looked upon as acceptable and the unethical is to be admired? Who or what is responsible for the downfall of what is precious about cultures around the globe? When insidious intention is behind various media sources one can expect the worst and the worst is what we see happening all too frequently.

I probably get more excited about technology then the average person and yet there is this concern how technology can move one further and further away from the basic interactions with ones own environment and each other. There needs to be a balance and there needs to be some sort of oversight as to what media sources are putting out especially when it comes to violence, perversion and dysfunctional harmful behaviors towards each other. Strip a society of its cultural roots and watch basic morality, ethics go down the drain while that which is unacceptable take root to become the norm.

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 2:03 pm