tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

Apfelstrudel (Apple Strudel) Recipe

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Apfelstrudel (Apple Strudel) Recipe Empty Apfelstrudel (Apple Strudel) Recipe

Post  Carol Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:43 am

Apfelstrudel (Apple Strudel) Recipe

German Dessert
    Ingredients:

6 c Apples; Tart, Sliced
    1 T Lemon Rind; Grated
    2 t Cinnamon
    8 oz Fillo Leaves; 1/2 Box,Thawed OR make strudel dough - recipe follows
    1 c Bread Crumbs; Finely Crushed
    3/4 c Raisins
    3/4 c Sugar
    3/4 c Almonds; Ground
    1 3/4 c Butter;(No Margarine),Melted

Directions:
    Mix apples with raisins, lemon rind, sugar, cinnamon, and almonds. Set aside. Place 1 fillo leaf on a kitchen towel and brush with melted butter. Place a second leaf on top and brush with butter again. Repeat until 5 leaves have been used, using about 1/2 c of butter. Cook and stir bread crumbs with 1/4 c of butter until lightly browned. Sprinkle 3/4 cup crumbs on the layered fillo leaves. Mound 1/2 of the filling in a 3-inch strip along the narrow end of the fillo, leaving a 2-inch border. Lift towel, using it to roll leaves over apples, jelly roll fashion. Brush top of the strudel with butter and sprinkle with 2 T crumbs. Repeat the entire procedure for the second strudle. Bake the strudels at 400 degrees F. for 20 to 25 minutes, until browned.

STRUDEL DOUGH
    Servings: 12
    4 c Flour, (preferably bread flour)
    2 t Salt
    2 ea Large eggs
    2-1/2 c Water
    8 T Butter (unsalted), melted
    1 t White vinegar or lemon juice

Sift the flour and salt onto a board or into a large bowl. Make a well in the center. Lightly beat the eggs with a fork, then beat in the water and half of the melted butter. Add the vinegar or lemon juice, if desired. Pour the egg mixture into the well in the flour. Stir until all of the flour is incorporated into the egg mixture and the dough is smooth. On a floured board, knead the dough for at LEAST 10 minutes; or until it is smooth, shiny and blistered on the surface. Brush the dough generously with melted butter, place it in a bowl, cover it with plastic wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes. Cover a large table completely with a floured cloth. Place the dough in the center of the cloth and, working in all directions, roll out the dough as thin as possible. Spread a little melted butter over the dough, and stretch it with your hands--CAREFULLY working all around the table to avoid tearing the dough--until it is very thin and almost transparent. As you stretch, brush the dough with more butter as necessary. Cut off any thick edges, then let the dough rest for about 15 minutes before using it. NOTE: The 2 lbs of dough produced by this recipe can be stretched into a sheet about 6 feet square--enough for two 3-foot strudels. Any excess dough can be restretched. With practice in stretching the dough, you may be able to make a 6-foot square out of 1 pound of dough.
    Makes 2 strudels, 6 to 8 servings each.

--------------------
    Autumn Apple Strudel

Servings: Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Ingredients

Sauce

1 cup apple juice
    4 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
    1 tablespoon brandy
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Filling
    1 cup plus 2 tablespoons apple juice
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    3 whole star anise*
    1 cinnamon stick
    1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
    1/3 cup (packed) dried Bing cherries
    1/3 cup (packed) pitted prunes, halved
    1 1/4 pounds Braeburn apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    1/3 cup (packed) golden brown sugar

1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch

Strudel
    2/3 cup hazelnuts, toasted, husked
    1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
    3 tablespoons sugar

9 17x12-inch sheets fresh phyllo pastry or frozen, thawed
    1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted

Vanilla ice cream

Preparation

For sauce:
    Boil juice in small saucepan until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat. Add chocolate and let stand 1 minute; whisk until melted and smooth. Stir in brandy and vanilla. (Sauce can be prepared 4 days ahead. Cover and chill. Rewarm before serving.)

For filling:
    Combine 1 cup juice, wine, star anise, and cinnamon in large saucepan. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; add bean. Bring to simmer. Remove from heat. Cover; let stand 10 minutes. Add cherries and prunes. Cover and simmer until fruit is plump, about 5 minutes. Discard star anise, cinnamon, and vanilla bean. Mix in apples and sugar; simmer until apples are tender but hold shape and liquid is reduced to 3 tablespoons, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes.

Mix cornstarch and 2 tablespoons apple juice. Add to filling; stir over medium-high heat until filling thickens and boils, about 3 minutes. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Cool slightly, cover, and chill.)

For strudel:
    Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly butter heavy large baking sheet. Blend first 3 ingredients in processor until nuts are finely ground.

Place dry kitchen towel on work surface. Place 1 phyllo sheet on towel (cover remaining phyllo with plastic wrap and damp towel). Brush phyllo lightly with melted butter. Top with second phyllo sheet; brush with butter. Sprinkle with scant 3 tablespoons nut mixture. Continue with 6 more phyllo sheets, brushing each with butter and sprinkling with scant 3 tablespoons nut mixture. Top with remaining phyllo sheet. Brush with butter. Spoon filling atop phyllo stack in 12x3-inch log, starting 2 inches from 1 long side and 2 1/2 inches from each short side. Fold short edges over filling. Using towel as aid and beginning at edge close to filling, roll up strudel jelly-roll style. Place strudel, seam side down, on prepared baking sheet. Brush strudel with butter. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Chill.)

Bake strudel uncovered until golden, about 45 minutes. Let cool at least 30 minutes. Cut warm or room-temperature strudel into slices; place on plates. Serve with ice cream and warm chocolate sauce.

*Brown star-shaped seedpods sold at Asian markets and specialty foods stores and in the spice section of some supermarkets.

--------------------
    Chocolate Walnut Strudel

TimesPrep: 55 mins
    Cook: 35 mins
    Ready in: 1 hr., 30 mins

Ingredients
    1/2 pkg. Pepperidge Farm®️ Puff Pastry Sheets (1 sheet)
    1 egg
    1 tbsp. water
    4 squares (1 oz. each ) semi-sweet chocolate
    2 tbsp. milk
    1 tbsp. butter or 0 margarine
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts
    Confectioners' sugar

Cooking Instructions
    THAW pastry sheet at room temperature 40 min. Preheat oven to 375°F. Mix egg and water.
    PLACE chocolate, milk and butter in large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH for 1 1/2 min. or until chocolate is almost melted, stirring halfway through heating. Stir until smooth.

UNFOLD pastry on lightly floured surface. Roll into 16"x12" rectangle. Spread chocolate mixture on pastry to within 1 1/2" of edges. Sprinkle walnuts over chocolate. Starting at short side, roll up like a jelly roll. Place seam-side down on baking sheet. Tuck ends under to seal. Brush with egg mixture.

BAKE 35 min. or until golden. Cool on baking sheet on wire rack at least 30 min. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Slice and serve warm.

TIP: To decorate strudel, thaw and roll out remaining pastry sheet to 12" square. Cut into desired shapes using cookie cutter. Press shapes onto top of strudel and brush with egg mixture. Bake as directed.
    --------------------
    Sour Cream Apple Strudel

Ingredients

Pastry Crust
    1 cup cold butter
    2 cups flour
    8 oz sour cream
    1/4 tsp salt

Apple Filling
    2 cups plain breadcrumbs
    1/4 cup butter, melted
    4 baking apple, peeled nd chopped
    1 cup sugar
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Directions
    1. For pastry, cut chilled butter into flour until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; add sour cream and salt, mixing well.
    2. Shape dough into ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
    3. For filling, combine breadcrumbs and melted butter; add apples, sugar, and cinnamon, mixing well.
    4. Divide chilled dough into thirds and turn onto floured surface; roll each portion into 15x12 inch rectangle.
    5. Spoon filling evenly onto each piece of dough and spread to within 1 inch of edges.
    6. Roll dough up from one long side, and pinch seams and ends to seal.
    7. Place the three strudels seam side down on a baking sheet or in a large baking dish.
    8. Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes, or until light brown.

Bavarian "Pulled" Apple Strudel (Gezogene Strudel)
    | 2¼ hours | 1½ hours prep | 3 strudels
    This is older than the Saints I think...or at least every Great Grandma I knew made this one with their eyes closed. We just watched in amazement. It looked like parchment paper on the table and they worked wonders with it. It was delectible, flakey every time, and anything that oozed was sweet and crunchy and great to our palate. You can master it, but it is a challenge if you like that sort of thing....I know I do.

Ingredients
    8 cups flour
    2 egg
    2 tablespoons oil
    2 1/2 cups warm water
    1 pinch salt
    Apple Filling
    8-10 tart apple, i like granny smith
    sugar and cinnamon, to your taste and
    lightly dot all with melted butter

Directions
    1. Work the flour, eggs, oil, water, and salt into a dough.
    2. Divide into three parts.
    3. Form a ball of each piece, brush each piece of dough with oil and let it rest for 45 min.
    4. Place a old clean tablecloth on the table, roll out a ball a thin as you can.
    5. Here comes the tricky part.
    6. Make sure you are wearing no rings-- go under the dough like you are making your hands into claws with your fingers pointing down at the table and the soft part of your knuckles is what is going to pull the dough toward you.
    7. You will do this all around in a circle until the dough is paper thin and you can see through it.
    8. Brush generously with melted butter during this process.
    9. Trim off the heavy edges.
    10. Sprinkle on the apples, some sugar, cinnamon to taste, nuts if you like and drizzle a little melted butter over all.
    11. Now take the tablecloth and fold about 5" over toward the center on each side forming a frame around the dough.
    12. From the long side, Lift one side of the tablecloth and roll up completely.
    13. Fold it as long as your pan is.
    14. Seal edges.
    15. Gently put rolled strudel into the pan Bake at 350* for about 45-55 min.
    16. Until golden brown.
    17. There are other fillings like cheese, cabbage, sweet or sour cherries, raisins/nuts can be added to the apples, even meats have been done with this dough.
    18. I prefer the apple and cheese myself.

Cattails...

To extract the flour or starch from the cattail root, simply collect the roots, wash, and peel them. Next, break up the roots under water. The flour will begin to separate from the fibers. Continue this process until the fibers are all separated and the sweet flour is removed. Remove the fiber and pour off the excess water.

Allow the remaining flour slurry to dry by placing near a fire or using the sun.

And lots of other cat tail uses on this website:
    www.backwoodshome.com

ACORNS!

One of the very best breakfasts I ever had was a meal of acorn flour pancakes and 100% maple syrup.

Here's some information I gleaned from a website:
    www.jackmtn.com

...Acorns can easily be processed into nutritious flour. First they must be shelled. A fist sized rock works great as a nutcracker. After I shell them I like to crush the acorn meats into smaller pieces before boiling. This allows the tannic acid to be leached out more quickly.

Take the shelled, crushed acorn meats and put them into a pot of already boiling water. As the acorns boil the water will become discolored. When the water is dark brown (every ten minutes or so of boiling), strain out the acorn meats and switch them to another pot of already boiling water. Continue this process until the nutmeats no longer taste bitter. I generally do 3 or 4 water changes. The amount of boiling you do will vary depending on your acorns and your patience. I've made sweet tasting acorn bread with acorn meal that still had some bitterness to it. Experiment.

When switching the acorns from one pot of water to another, make sure the water is boiling before adding the acorns. Switching the acorns from boiling water to cold water seems to lock in the bitterness. When most of the bitterness is gone from the nutmeats, the meats can be crushed into a meal or mush. The wet meal can be used right away in a bread recipe, or dried and stored as flour is. It will keep as long as flour does if kept dry.

I mix a lighter flour such as cattail or wheat flour with the acorn meal when making bread. Acorn flour is heavy and the bread may fall apart if not made of a mixture of flours. White flour, corn flour, and soy flour all will do.

Another way to leach out tannins from acorns is to put them in a mesh sack and leave them in a running stream for a week or so. The length of time and results will vary depending on the acorns, the water temperature and flow rate, and other factors.

If you use the boiling method don't throw away the brown water. This water is a tannic acid solution that has a variety of uses. It can be used as a dye for clothing. When used this way it needs a fixer or the color will fade after washing. The tannic acid can also be used as a laundry detergent. Put a couple of cups of the solution in each load of wash. It cleans well, and the clothing will smell great, but it will color whites a slightly tan color.

The solution is antiviral and antiseptic. It can be used as a skin wash for rashes, skin irritations, burns, poison ivy, cuts, etc. It can be gargled for sore throats or taken as a mild tea for diarrhea and dysentery, or used externally on hemorrhoids. Store jars of tannic acid solution in jars in the refrigerator. If mold forms on top after time, the solution can be reboiled to kill the mold and stored again.

Animal hides can be tanned more easily by soaking them in the tannic acid from the acorns. Hide tanning is the process of making a raw animal skin into a comfortable, pliable, durable piece of clothing. The use of the boiled brown acorn water in producing "tanned" hides is why we call this water tannic acid.

I've used the following basic acorn bread recipe often. I've also varied it quite a bit depending on the availability of ingredients. Some of the most delicious acorn bread I've made has been using only acorns, syrup, flour, and water. .

ACORN BREAD
    2 cups acorn flour
    2 cups cattail or white flour
    3 teaspoons baking powder
    1/3 cup maple syrup or sugar
    1 egg
    1/2 cup milk
    3 tablespoons olive oil

Bake in pan for 30 minutes or until done at 400 degrees
    Using the ingredients given above will produce a sweet, moist, nutty bread. The ingredients can be varied to produce different types of bread or muffins or pancakes, etc. Acorn bread is highly nutritious. It has an energy giving combination of protein, carbohydrates, and fat. John Muir called dry acorn cakes "the most compact and strength giving food" he had ever used. I use maple syrup from the trees in my woods instead of sugar. Not only do I enjoy the wild beauty and fiery colors of the maples and oaks that surround my farm, but I also savor the sweet acorn bread made from their nuts and sap. What better way is there to get to know the trees than to live under them and eat from their bounty?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    www.connielapallo.com

Jamestown Style
    Acorn Bread

1/2 cup acorn flour
    1/2 cup cornmeal
    1 teaspoon yeast
    4 tablespoons water

Sift the dry ingredients, then add the water. After mixing everything up until it makes a ball, let it rise for about 2 hours.Place the ball of dough on a stone baking pan and bake it at 350° 20 or 30 minutes.
    Makes one biscuit-sized loaf. Enjoy with butter or honey!

Acorn Cornmeal bread
    1 cup acorn flour
    1/2 cup cornmeal
    1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1 egg
    1/2 cup honey
    3 tablespoons cooking oil
    1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350°. Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. In a small bowl, combine egg, honey, milk and oil. Add wet mixture to the dry ingredients gradually while mixing with a whisk or electric mixer. Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan and bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean

Acorn White Flour Bread
    Mix together:
    1 cup acorn flour
    1 cup unbleached white flour
    3 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt

Beat together:
    1 cup milk
    1 egg
    3 tablespoons salad oil

Add these to the dry ingredients and stir just enough to moisten everything. Pour into a greased pan and bake in a 350° oven for 30 minutes.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    www.prodigalgardens.info

Acorn Flour Recipes:

Acorn Pancakes
    1 cup acorn flour
    1 cup white flour
    1 tsp salt
    2 tsp baking powder
    2 eggs
    1/4 cup oil
    1/2 cup honey
    2 cups milk

1. Mix dry ingredients first.
    2. Add wet ingredients and mix together thoroughly (Note: the secret of keeping pancake batter from getting lumpy is to be sure to add all the wet ingredients before mixing.)
    3. Adjust consistency by adding a little more milk or a little more flour if it’s too thick or thin. Pancake batter should be thin enough to pour, but not runny.
    4. Cook on oiled grill.
    5. Top with butter and Maple Syrup.

Acorn “Corn” Bread

1 cup acorn flour
    1 cup white flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    3/4 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    2 large eggs
    1/2 cup or honey
    1/4 cup oil or butter
    1 cup milk (buttermilk is best!)

1. Mix dry ingredients together.
    2. Add all the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth.
    3. Pour batter into a 9x9 baking pan, or 10-inch cast iron frying pan
    4. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes.
    5. Serve hot with plenty of butter! Honey or maple syrup is good on it too

Poor Man's Soup
    This is a recipe I got from my mother-in-law who was in Germany during the war. It can be made with broccoli, cauliflour, asparagas or even mushrooms.

Slice the veggies up and put in pan or soup pot. Just cover with water add salt to taste and set to boil. In fry pan take 1/4 cup butter, melt it and add 1/4 cup flour... constantly stirring to make a rue. Slowly add 1 to 2 cups of cold water (depends on how much soup you are making) as you keep stirring the rue. This thickens the soup and gives it flavor. Once all the water has been disolved (I often take a cup of water from the soup to add as well), then pour into the soup pan/pot. Take another 1/4 butter melt it in fry pan and throw in some cubed bread to toast until golden brown and add to top of soup when serving. This is a family favorite.
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Apfelstrudel (Apple Strudel) Recipe Empty Re: Apfelstrudel (Apple Strudel) Recipe

Post  Carol Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:42 pm

High Fiber Oatmeal Cookies
    Swanson Health Products Healthy Recipe Banana Coconut Muffins

* 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    * 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
    * 1/2 teaspoon Bob’s Red Mill Baking Soda
    * 1/4 teaspoon Swanson Himalayan Crystal Salt
    * 1/4 teaspoon Swanson Organic Ground Cinnamon
    * 1/2 teaspoon Swanson Organic Ground Nutmeg
    * 1/2 cup Swanson Organic Date Sugar
    * 3 egg whites
    * 3 tablespoons Jarrow Formulas Coconut Oil
    * 1 1/4 cups Bob’s Red Mill Organic Rolled Oats
    * 1/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill Wheat Germ
    * 1/4 Cup Swanson Organic Milled Flaxseed

Preheat oven to 350°F.

In a small bowl, stir together flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine date sugar, egg whites and melted coconut oil. Stir until well combined. Stir in flour mixture, oats, wheat germ and flaxseed.

Ball up the dough by hand so it is tightly packed together. Drop onto a baking sheet about 1 inch apart. You may flatten the cookies, but only slightly—if you flatten too much, the dough balls will crumble and fall apart at the edges. Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned on top. Place cookies on cooling racks to cool.

Cookies keep well for up to a week in airtight bags or containers, but they can also be frozen for several weeks.
    http://www.swansonvitamins.com/health-library/recipes/high-fiber-oatmeal-cookies.html?SourceCode=INTE809

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 am